Migratory Birds & Habitat Programs
Pacific Region

Migratory Bird Import/Export Permit

A Federal Migratory Bird Import/Export permit is required to move migratory birds, their parts, nests, or eggs between the United States and another country. This is an international (not inter-state) permit. If you are importing/exporting a CITES species, additional permitting with the Division of Management Authority may be required. If you would like to export live raptors, please see Raptor (CITES/MBTA) Export. If you are a Native American and wish to transport eagles, please see Eagle International Transport. If you have an existing Scientific Collecting permit, a separate import/export permit is not required; please send a signed letter requesting import/export to be added to your existing permit with the information from Secion E (page 2) of the application form below.

Application Processing Fee: $75.00
Amendment Fee: none
Duration Valid: up to 5 years
Annual Report Requirements: none
State Permit Requirement: none (HI, ID, OR, WA)
Governing Regulations: 50 CFR §21.21

Pacific Region Application Check List
Application Form

Disclaimer: Please print this page for your records. This website is a "plain English" guide to Migratory Birds and Migratory Bird Permitting. It is not meant to cover every Migratory Bird situation or all of the details of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and associated Policies. While every attempt is made to ensure the information is up-to-date and accurate, the USFWS is not responsible for misinformation. Furthermore, this website is not intended to replace the advice of USFWS employees. It is intended to give a basic framework and help in your everyday Migratory Bird questions. Changes in Migratory Bird rules occur regularly and often quickly. If you have a Migratory Bird question, you should contact an appropriate USFWS employee and provide him or her with all the relevant facts before taking action.

Can’t find what you need?  Have a recommendation for information that would be helpful on this page?  We appreciate your feedback.

Last updated: June 5, 2014

Migratory Birds & Habitat Programs Home
Pacific Region Home

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  | USA.gov  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA