Skip Navigation

Falconry Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a federal falconry permit?

As of January 1, 2012, all states in the Pacific Region (Region 1) have switched to the new regulations 50 CFR § 21.29.  Therefore, federal permits are no longer issued for falconry.  Please contact your state licensing office to comply with federal falconry regulations.

State Offices (Idaho, Oregon, and Washington) Please be advised possession and use of raptors is tightly regulated in Hawaii.

How do I get my federal ID number?

The online 3-186A reporting system requires a Federal ID to login.  This Federal ID is issued by your STATE office.  To obtain your federal ID, please contact your state office (contact information above).

Do I still need to submit 3-186As?

Yes and No.  You do need to submit electronic 3-186As using the online 3-186A reporting system to be in compliance with your state license.  However, you do NOT need to submit paper 3-186As to your federal U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Migratory Bird Permit Office.  Paper 3-186As are still required for federal permits other than falconry (such as propagation and abatement).

Raptor Propagation

What are Raptor Propagation permits?

Raptor propagation permits authorize raptors and raptor eggs to be possessed, transported, and sold.  Please review the complete raptor propagation regulations online.

Who can get a Raptor Propagation permit?

Applicants must be at least 18 years old with a minimum of 2 years experience handling raptors.  Many states require a state permit for raptor propagation.  Adequate facilities must be demonstrated prior to obtaining a permit.

Where can I get an application?

An application form can be found online.  Please see our propagation page for more information.

What species do I need a propagation permit for?

Any species protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act as well as any hybrid that includes any portion of a protected species.  The list of protected species is called the 10.13 list.

How do I get bands?

All raptors propagated must be banded.  Bands can be obtained by submitting a band request form to your Migratory Bird Permit Office.

Special Purpose – Abatement

What are Abatement permits?

Abatement permits authorize you to purchase, sell, possess, and use captive-bred raptors to abate situations where migratory birds are depredating or pose a risk to human health and safety.  Abatement is different from falconry in that raptors are pursuing (and in some cases taking) depredating birds or other wildlife to mitigate damage.

How do I apply for an abatement permit?

An application form can be found online.  Please see our abatement page for more information.

What class do I need to be?

Only Master Falconers may hold abatement permits.

Can I conduct abatement activities without being a Master Falconer?

Yes. General and Apprentice Falconers may conduct abatement activities as a subpermittee of a Master Falconer.  Only raptors listed on the abatement permit may be used for abatement (subpermittee falconry birds may not be used).  Only licensed falconers may fly birds as subpermittees.  Other individuals may care for raptors as a named subpermittee but may not fly birds. 

Which raptors can I use?

An abatement permit is needed for use of any protected species or hybrid including any portion of a protected species.  Only seamless-banded, captive-bred raptors may be used.

Can my birds be under both my falconry and abatement permits?

No.  Raptors listed under an abatement permit may not be used in falconry.

Do I need a Depredation permit too?

A depredation permit is only required if you intend to take (kill, capture, or injure) migratory birds to reinforce your nonlethal management techniques.  The depredation permit is issued to the landowner and the abatement falconer is listed as a subpermittee.


Last Updated: March 17, 2015
Return to main navigation