Skip Navigation

Education Permit

A Federal Education Permit is required to possess live migratory birds or dead specimens for educational purposes. Certain institutions are exempt from this permit such as American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums (AAZPA) accredited facilities as well as government and non-profit museums open to the public (such as a park visitor's center). Exempt facilities must keep records demonstrating legal acquisition. For more information on education permits, please visit our Education Frequently Asked Questions page.

Application Processing Fee: $75
Amendment Fee: none
Duration Valid: 3 years
Annual Report Requirements: Yearly (January 31)
State Permit Requirement: none (HI, ID, OR, WA)
Governing Regulations: 50 CFR ยง21.27

Pacific Region Check Sheet (Dead Specimens Only)
Application Form (Dead Specimens Only)
Pacific Region Check Sheet (Live Birds)
Application Form (Live Birds)
Special Purpose Education Annual Report
Education Acquisition and Transfer Request

Disclaimer: Please print this page for your records. This website is a "plain English" guide to Migratory Birds and Migratory Bird Permitting. It is not meant to cover every Migratory Bird situation or all of the details of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and associated Policies. While every attempt is made to ensure the information is up-to-date and accurate, the USFWS is not responsible for misinformation. Furthermore, this website is not intended to replace the advice of USFWS employees. It is intended to give a basic framework and help in your everyday Migratory Bird questions. Changes in Migratory Bird rules occur regularly and often quickly. If you have a Migratory Bird question, you should contact an appropriate USFWS employee and provide him or her with all the relevant facts before taking action.

Last Updated: March 17, 2015
Return to main navigation