Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
Southeast Region
Special Use Permits

For information about obtaining a Wilderness Canoeing Permit, please go to the Wilderness Canoeing web pages on this website. For information about obtaining an Environmental Education fee waiver, please go to the Environmental Education web pages on this website. For all other permits and fee waivers, please follow the directions below.

Activities Requiring a Special Use Permit
Because of strict requirements concerning public use on National Wildlife Refuges (NWR), all commercial activities and certain other activities such as research require special permission. Some proposed activities requiring permits include:

  • Filming/videotaping (any non-amateur work, including public television and other government entities)
  • Wildlife or general photography (for publications or retail)
  • Seining or any collection of plants, animals, soil,or water
  • Any after-hours use
  • Any activity in areas not open to the visiting public
  • All research

When in doubt, it is best to apply for a special use permit.

To Request a Special Use Permit:
The permit must be requested at least two weeks in advance of planned activity.

The request must be in writing, on letterhead if possible, and addressed to:

Refuge Manager,
Okefenokee NWR
2700 Suwannee Canal Road,
Folkston, GA 31537

The request must include:

  • Who is requesting the permit? Name and address of the permittee (if the permit is for more than one person, this person is responsible for the behavior and compliance of the entire group. Names for everyone in the group may be required.)
  • What is the nature of the proposed activity?
  • Why is it being conducted. (Purpose)
  • Where the activity will take place (as specific as possible, boardwalk, Coffee Bay, etc.).
  • When the activity will take place, including dates and time of the day.
  • How the activity will be conducted. (methods and equipment)


Last updated: March 2, 2012
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  | USA.gov  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA