Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge
Southeast Region

Entrance Fees

In 2004, Congress passed the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA), which allows the government to charge a fee for recreation use of public lands managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, The Bureau of Reclamation, the National Park Service, The Bureau of Land Management and the Forest Service.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service collects fees at more than 100 National Wildlife Refuges. At least 80% of all fees collected at a refuge are reinvested back into that refuge to provide quality recreational facilities and opportunities to our visitors. The remaining 20% is used in that geographic region. Each refuge that collects a fee posts a notice at the collection site informing the public of the use or anticipated use of recreation fees collected during the previous year.

Type of Pass
Used For
Valid For
Cost
Daily Refuge Pass Private, non-commercial vehicles entering Okefenokee NWR. 7 days from issuance date $5.00
Annual Refuge Pass Private, non-commercial vehicles entering Okefenokee NWR. 1 year from issuance date $12.00
Federal Duck Stamp Private, non-commercial vehicles entering any National Wildlife Refuge. July 1 – June 30 $15.00
Interagency Senior Pass Entrance to Federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity fee. Valid for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or older. Lifetime $10.00
Interagency Annual Pass Entrance to Federal recreation sites that charge an entrance or standard amenity fee. 1 year from issuance month $80.00
Interagency Access Pass Entrance to Fish and Wildlife Service Refuges (FWS) and National Park Service (NPS) sites that charge an entrance fee. Valid for U.S. residents with permanent disabilities. Lifetime Free
Commercial Pass Commercial vehicles entering Okefenokee NWR Varies Contact Okefenokee NWR for more information
Commercial day use guide – 9 or fewer people
Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle with a commercial guide Daily $5.00
Commercial day use guide
10-25 people
Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle with a commercial guide Daily $25.00
Commercial day use guide 26 or more people
Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle with a commercial guide Daily $50.00
Any other commercial vehicle (catering, outfitters, etc.)
25 or fewer people

Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle Daily $25.00
Any other commercial vehicle (catering, outfitters, etc.)
26 or more people
Entry into Okefenokee NWR in a commercial vehicle Daily $50.00
Overnight Wilderness Canoe Permit Includes entry to Okefenokee NWR as well as overnight canoe trail system only on days specified in the permit Varies

$10.00 per person per night

 

Federal Recreation sites participating in the Fee Program include sites managed by National Park Service (NPS), US Department of Agriculture Forest Service (FS), US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and Bureau of Reclamation. Not all Federal Recreation sites charge Entrance or Standard Amenity Fees. Please contact specific sites directly for information on fees.

Passes are available at the East entrance to the refuge, located on Hwy. 121/23 eight miles southwest of Folkston, GA; and from the West entrance, located on Hwy. 177 eighteen miles northwest of Fargo, GA.

*We will continue to honor Golden Age and Golden Access Passes

Last updated: March 2, 2012