Canoeing Rules and Regulations
Wilderness Canoeing Rules and Regulations
Wilderness Canoeing- credit: USFWS
- • The canoe permit must be carried by the group leader, who is responsible for the entire party.
- • Parties must launch before 10:00 am to ensure that the overnight stop is reached before dark. However, if a member(s) of the party is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances and cannot launch with the main group - the permit holder/group leader can call 912-496-3331 from 7am - 10 am, Monday - Friday only, prior to their launch to determine if/how this late group may be permitted to launch late and catch up with rest of their party.
- • Each canoe party must register when entering and leaving the swamp.
- • Pets and swimming are not permitted in the swamp.
- • Motors of any kind are not permitted on canoe trips.
- • Keep trails free from litter. Please carry out any litter you generate.
- • Firearms and other weapons are prohibited. No hunting.
- • All flora and fauna in the swamp are protected. Do not feed or harass any animals or pick plants.
- • Follow exactly the route on your permit. Do not stray from assigned trail. Only one party per stop allowed.
- • You must remain at the designated overnight area between sunset and sunrise.
- • Open fires are permitted only at Canal Run, and Floyd's Island.
- • Portable toilets with disposable bags are required.
- • Portable camp stoves are required for cooking.
- • All licenses, permits, equipment, and effects, including vehicles and canoes are subject to inspection by state and federal officers.
- • All state, federal and county laws regarding alcohol consumption are strictly enforced.
- • Any additions or changes to permits must be completed prior to departure.
- • Entrance fees are included in the Overnight canoeing permit.
- • Unauthorized commercial guiding and outfitting is strictly prohibited. Click here for guiding regulations.
NOTE: Parking placards showing your permit number must be displayed on dash of all vehicles you leave parked overnight at any refuge entrance.