Student Temporary Employment Program Requirements
To be eligible for the STEP, students must be:
- At least 16 years of age.
- A U.S. citizen or a national.
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate, at an accredited high school, technical or vocational school, two or four year college or university, graduate or professional school.
- Taking at least a half-time course load as defined by the school. An exception to this requirement is permitted when a student is in the final period before graduation and needs to complete less than a half-time course load.
- A student in a good standing with the academic institution and maintaining the grade point average (GPA) requirements of the school.
- Provides maximum flexibility to agencies and students.
- Duties of STEP positions are not required to be related to the student’s academic/career goals.
- Students are eligible for annual (vacation), holiday, and sick leave.
- Students are eligible for health insurance once they are continuously employed for one year.
- Students may be converted to the Student Career Experience Program (SCEP); and STEP work experience may be creditable toward SCEP work experience requirements.
- Appointments may be made at any grade for which a student qualifies, under either the General Schedule or Wage Grade. Those under the General Schedule are eligible for locality pay, and if applicable, special pay rates.
- Work schedules may be part-time, full-time, alternating, or concurrent with course work.
To learn more about the Student Temporary Employment Program contact Louise Barry, Human Resources, at: Louise_Barry@fws.gov.
Back to the STEP and SCEP overview page