Youth Conservation Corps
What is the Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) Program?
The Youth Conservation Corps (YCC), is a summer employment program for young men and women ages 15 through 18, who work, learn, and earn together on projects that further the development and conservation of the United States. The three objectives of the program include:
- To accomplish needed conservation work on public lands
- To provide gainful employment for 15- through 18-year-old males and females of all social, economic, ethnic and racial backgrounds.
- To develop in participating youth an understanding and appreciation of the Nation's natural environment and heritage.
What are the Requirements for Enrollment?
- Be at least 15 years of age, and not have reached 19 years of age during the term of employment.
- Be a permanent resident of the United Stated or its territories or possessions.
- Have a Social Security number, or have applied to obtain one.
- Have a desire to work in the out-of-doors and become involved in the development and maintenance of the Nation's natural resources.
- Have no history of serious criminal or anti-social behavior that might create safety problems.
- Be able to participate in the various work and training projects of the YCC program. Handicapped youth who with reasonable accommodations can perform the essential functions of the YCC program are also eligible.
- Have a work permit as required under the laws of the State in which the program will be carried out.
- Be able to obtain parental or legal guardian consent to enroll in the program.
- Be able to provide the proper type and amount of work clothing, such as long sleeved shirts, jeans, work boots.
What Will Enrollees be Paid?
Enrollees will be paid the Federal minimum wage unless stated with a higher minimum wage, in which case they will be paid the higher rate. The week of activities will consist of five 8-hour days.
How May Youth Apply for YCC in 2013?
UPDATED March 2013...For a YCC recruitment flyer, click here. (.pdf - 219KB)
UPDATED March 2013...For a YCC press release, click here. (.pdf - 61KB)
UPDATED March 2013...For a YCC application, click here. (.pdf - 28KB)