Step E: Prepare Draft Plan and NEPA Document
1. Prepare the Draft CCP and NEPA Document (EIS or EA).
2. Compatibility Determinations—Write determinations signifying that a proposed or existing use of a national wildlife refuge is either compatible or is not compatible with the purposes of the refuge and the mission of the National Wildlife Refuge System.
3. Pre-acquisition Compatibility Determinations—If our proposed action includes expanding the planning unit by acquiring new lands, the draft CCP and NEPA documents also must identify any existing wildlife-dependent recreational public uses we deem compatible and will allow to continue after acquisition.
4. Internal Review—Submit the draft CCP and NEPA document for internal review following procedures established within the region. Reviewers will include refuge program managers, ecosystem managers, refuge staff, other appropriate Service programs or divisions and partners. Then the draft CCP and NEPA document will be published for public review.
5. Public Notice, Review, and Comment—Publish a Notice of Availability of the draft CCP and NEPA document in the Federal Register, and notify the affected public of the availability of those documents through other appropriate means. Provide a minimum of 30 days for public review of a draft CCP with an EA, and 45 days for a draft CCP with an integrated EIS.