Presquile National Wildlife Refuge. Credit: USFWS
Presquile National Wildlife Refuge Comprehensive Conservation Planning
Latest News in Developing the CCP
We completed the Final Comprehensive Conservation Plan (CCP) for Presquile NWR in November 2012. The Draft CCP and Environmental Assessment (EA) was released in August 2012. The Final CCP represents years of work among Federal and State agencies, local and regional officials and communities, conservation organizations, and user groups.
To learn more about the development of the CCP, check out the planning newsletters.
The National Wildlife Refuge System Improvement Act of 1997 (PL 105-57) requires CCPs for each national wildlife refuge. CCPs are 15-year plans designed to provide strategic management direction that best achieves the refuge's purposes; attains the vision and goals developed for the refuge; contributes to the National Wildlife Refuge System mission; addresses key challenges, issues, and relevant mandates; and is consistent with sound principles of fish and wildlife management. To learn more about CCPs and the CCP process in general, please visit Planning Process or What Are CCPs?
How to Access the Documents
To view or download the Final CCP, please click here.
To view or download the Draft CCP/EA, please click here.
About Presquile NWR
Presquile NWR is one of four refuges that comprise the Eastern Virginia Rivers NWR Complex and part of a larger network of refuges on and around the Chesapeake Bay. The 1,329-acre refuge is located on an island in the James River, approximately 20 miles south of Richmond, Virginia. The refuge was established to protect habitat for wintering waterfowl and other migratory birds. It is also home to nesting, roosting, and wintering bald eagles.
Archaeological evidence indicates that the land around the Presquile NWR was occupied by Native Americans for thousands of years. At the time of European contact, this section of the James River was inhabited by the Appamattuck and Weyanock tribes. In 1613, Sir Thomas Dale seized the land at the junction of the James and the Appomattox rivers, establishing the Bermuda Hundred settlement. This property included the area that now serves as Presquile NWR.
Presquile NWR was historically a peninsula of land connected to adjacent lands to the south. In 1934, a more direct navigation channel was cut through the land, making Presquile the island it is today.
If you would like to request a CD-Rom or hard copy of the documents, ask questions about the CCP and planning process, or learn about how you can get involved at the refuge, please visit the refuge Web site or contact refuge staff at:
11116 Kimages Rd.
Charles City, VA 23030
Phone: (804) 829-9020
Fax: (804) 829-9606
Email: EasternVirginiaRiversNWRC@fws.gov (Please put “Presquile NWR” in the subject line)