Congratulations to Evelyn Adkins, Patuxent Research Refuge’s
Volunteer of the Year for 2013
Evelyn Adkins epitomizes the concept of volunteer service and community involve-ment. Many, however, hardly know she is here, for her job consists of mostly “behind the scenes” support.
Evelyn has served as Treasurer of Friends of Patuxent for many years. She comes in at least once a week, but often several days a week to tackle the many aspects of this position, and frequently works from home as well.
In her capacity as Friends Treasurer:
• She tracks payment for reserved tram tours;
• She tracks payment from conference users who use conference space;
• She tracks donations to both the North Tract and Visitor Center donation boxes, and other donations;
• She supports the Environmental Education program by controlling funds collected through workshops and donations;
• She makes sure all employees (bookstore staff and tram drivers) have the proper paperwork and receive payment;
• She helps oversee bookstore operations and inventory;
• She tracks allocations and expenses for a variety of specific “earmarked” funds for both the Refuge and the Research Center;
• She works with an outside auditor to ensure that all financial records are maintained correctly;
(continued in next column)
• She reimburses staff and volunteers for legitimate approved expenses against the various accounts;
• She presents budget reports to the Board on a regular basis;
• She is a fierce “watchdog” against inappropriate or excessive expenses.
• Evelyn oversees the submission of entries for the Maryland Waterbird Stamp Design Competition (held annually at the Visitor Center); and
• She historically had a major role in managing the Friends of Patuxent Art Show—notifying artists and tracking their applications for booth space.
Evelyn also attended and contributed to meetings of committees planning the Art Show, the Adopt A Whooper Program and the Holiday Bazaar.
IN ADDITION, Evelyn has been involved as a volunteer with other charitable and community organizations, keeping their books as well as those of the Friends. She is very involved with her church and its activities; and she sings for at least one choral group. Until recently, Evelyn volunteered as a federal election judge at times when the polls were open for voting. Evelyn is a strong member of her community and is always donating her time and services for many worthy causes. Evelyn is amazingly active and involved.
Patuxent is fortunate to have Elevyn Adkins as one of our dedicated volunteers.