|29 Tabor Road
Swanton, VT 05488
Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge was established on February 4, 1943, under the authority of the Migratory Bird Conservation Act for the protection of migratory birds. The initial acquisition in 1943 was 1582 acres of land in the Missisquoi River Delta, including Shad Island and Big Marsh Slough. Additional parcels of land were acquired over the next 60 years, until the refuge reached its present size of 6,729 acres.
The refuge, which is predominantly wetlands, is bisected by approximately 6 miles of the Missisquoi River and includes more than 10 miles of Lake Champlain shoreline along Missisquoi Bay and Maquam Bay.
Three man made impoundment areas on the refuge consist of Cranberry Pool, approximately 500 acres and 2.5 miles of dike, Goose Bay Pool, approximately 110 acres and 1000' of dike, and Big Marsh Slough, approximately 600 acres and 300' of dike. Big Marsh Slough dike was built in 1956 and Goose Bay Pool was built in 1959 by refuge staff. Cranberry Pool was built in 1968 by contract with a local construction company and cost $52,000. Today's replacement cost is estimated at $3 million.
Management goals have evolved over the years and today the refuge works with partners from all sectors to recover threatened species, protect and restore wetlands, provide habitats for migratory birds, and provide quality wildlife-oriented recreational activities for visitors.