Region 5 GIS Coordination Team Meeting Minutes

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Regional Office - Hadley, MA

Memorandum

Date: November 1, 2002
From: Linda Shaffer
Subject: R5 GIS Coordination Team Meeting Minutes

Attendees:

Linda Shaffer/NWRS-CSDS
Michelle Babione/NWRS-Conte NFWR
Andrew MacLachlan/ES-SNE/NYB (by telephone)

Team members not in attendance:

Mike Weaver/LE
Ed Christoffers/RDT
Bill Zinni/NWRS-Planning
Ralph Tiner/ES-NWI
Chris Castiglione/FR-Lower Great Lakes FRO
Mike Drummond/ES-VAFO

Today=s meeting started at 9:30 am.

We discussed the need for an R5 GIS Needs Assessment as suggested by RDT members at the 10/21/02 GIS briefing. After the last Spatial Data Library (SDL) subteam meeting, there was frustration amongst team members at doing another needs assessment instead of proceeding with our plan to provide data to GIS users. Linda proposed and members agreed that CSDS should begin serving base map data on the CSDS website (http://northeast.fws.gov/gis) and advertise the site as the fledgling SDL. Andrew proposed and members agreed to build and serve a land cover web page on the same server.

Michelle provided a list of questions that should be asked in any needs assessment that we might conduct. She then stated and members agreed that we're not sure how useful a needs assessment would be. We already have knowledge of the users needs for data, technical support, and outreach which we are acting on. A needs assessment might provide us statistics to present to the RDT on user's GIS plans. We agreed to put the idea of a needs assessment on hold at this time.

As part of the workshop, we are updating the "GIS Resources in Region 5" booklet, which is, in part, a needs assessment. Mike D. has already sent out a request to those offices currently listed in the booklet to update their pages. We will send out the R5 GIS Questionnaire to all field offices to ensure that those who are not in the booklet have a chance to be included. Linda will email the questionnaire and the appropriate email list to Mike D. for him to forward to users and receive responses.

Linda noted that the New Jersey Field Office plans to enter into a data sharing agreement with the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission to acquire data. A staff member at the field office was thoughtful enough to send a copy to the R5 GIS Team to review and be aware of.

We briefly discussed items related to the upcoming GIS workshop.

Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, December 4 at 9:30 am in the small auditorium.

We adjourned at 10:00 am and repaired to our respective offices to eat leftover Halloween candy.