Recent Publications of the Population Ecology Branch
Peer Reviewed Publications:
- Bartron, M.L. and K.T. Scribner. 2004. Temporal comparisons of genetic diversity in Lake Michigan steelhead, Oncorhynchus mikiss, populations: effects of hatchery supplementation. Environmental Biology of Fishes 69: 395-407.
- Bartron, M.L., D.R. Swank, E. Rutherford, and K.T. Scribner. 2004. Methodological bias in estimates of strain composition and straying of hatchery-produced steelhead in Lake Michigan Tributaries. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 24: 1288-1299.
(.pdf - 76 KB)
- Jacobs, G.R., C.P. Madenjian, D.B. Bunnell, D.M. Warner, and R.M. Claramunt. 2013. Chinook salmon foraging patterns in a changing Lake Michigan. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142: 362-372.
(.pdf -390 KB)
- Lacroix, G.L., D. Knox, T.F. Sheehan, M.D. Renkawitz, and M.L. Bartron. 2012. Distribution of U.S. Atlantic salmon postsmolts in the Gulf of Maine. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141: 934-942.
(.pdf - 274 KB)
- McGowan, C.P., D.R. Smith, J.A. Sweka, J. Martin, J.D. Nichols, R. Wong, J.E. Lyons, L.J. Niles, K. Kalasz, J. Brust, M. Davis, and B. Spear. 2011. Multi-species modeling for adaptive management of horseshoe crabs and red knots in the Delaware Bay. Natural Resource Modeling 24: 117-156.
(.pdf - 494 KB)
- Millard, M., S. Welsh, J. Fletcher, J. Mohler, A. Kahnle, and K. Hattala. 2003. Mortality associated with catch and release of striped bass in the Hudson River. Fisheries Management and Ecology 10: 295 - 300.
- Millard, M.J., J.W. Mohler, A. Kahnle, and A. Cosman. 2005. Mortality associated with catch-and-release angling of striped bass in the Hudson River. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 25: 1533-1541.
(.pdf - 146 KB)
- Mollenhauer, R., T. Wagner, M. V. Kepler, and J. A. Sweka. 2013.Fall and early winter movement and habitat use of wild brook trout. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142: 1167-1178.
- Moyer, G.R., J.A. Sweka, and D.L. Petersen. 2012. Past and present processes influencing genetic diversity and effective population size in a natural population of Atlantic sturgeon. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 141:56-67.
(.pdf - 230 KB)
- Smith, D., P. Pooler, B. Swan, S. Michels, W. Hall, P. Himchak, and M. Millard. 2002. Spatial and temporal distribution of horseshoe crab (Limulus polyphemus) spawning in Delaware Bay: Implications for monitoring. Estuaries 25(1)115-125.
- Smith, D.R., M.J. Millard, and S. Eyler. 2006. Abundance of adult horseshoe crabs (Limulus polyphemus) in Delaware Bay estimated from a bay-wide mark-recapture study. Fishery Bulletin 104: 456-464.
(.pdf - 661 KB)
- Smith, D.R., C.P. McGowan, J.P. Daily, J.D. Nichols, J.A. Sweka, and J.E. Lyons. 2013. Evaluating a multispecies adaptive management framework: must uncertainty impede effective decision-making?. Journal of Applied Ecology 50:1441-1450.
- Sweka, J.A. and K.J. Hartman. 2006. Effects of large woody debris addition on stream habitat and brook trout populations in Appalachian streams. Hydrobiologia 559: 363-378.
- Sweka, J.A., C.M. Legault, K.F. Beland, J. Trial, and M.J. Millard. 2006. Evaluation of removal sampling for basin-wide assessment of Atlantic salmon. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 26: 995-1002.
(.pdf - 123 KB)
- Sweka, J.A., J. Mohler, M.J. Millard, T. Kehler, A. Kahnle, K. Hattala, G. Kenney, and A. Higgs. 2007. Juvenile Atlantic sturgeon habitat use in Newburgh and Haverstraw bays of the Hudson River: Implications for population monitoring. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27: 1058-1067.
(.pdf - 187 KB)
- Sweka, J.A., D.R. Smith, and M.J. Millard. 2007. An age-structured population model for horseshoe crabs in the Delaware Bay area to assess harvest and egg availability for shorebirds. Estuaries and Coasts 30: 277-286.
(.pdf - 160 KB)
- Sweka, J.A. and K.J. Hartman. 2008. Contribution of terrestrial invertebrates to yearly brook trout prey consumption and growth. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 137: 224-235.
(.pdf - 324 KB)
- Sweka, J.A. and G. Mackey. 2010. A functional relationship between watershed size and Atlantic salmon parr density. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 1: 3-10. 3194-687X. doi: 10.3996/JFWM-007.
(.pdf - 2,065 KB)
- Sweka, J.A., K.J. Hartman, and J.M. Niles. 2010. Long-term effects of large woody debris additions on stream habitat and brook trout populations. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 1: 146-151. e1944-687X. doi: 10.3996/012010-JFWM-002.
(.pdf - 3,356 KB)
- Sweka, J.A., T. Wagner, J. Detar, and D. Kristine. 2012. Combining field data with computer simulations to determine a representative reach for brook trout assessment. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Managment 3: 209-222. e1944-687X. doi: 10.3996/032012-JFWM-027.
(.pdf - 10,257 KB)
- Sweka, J.A., and T.C. Wainwright. 2013. Use of Population Viability Analysis Models for Atlantic and Pacific Salmon Recovery Planning. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries. DOI: 10.1007/s11160-013-9332-8
- Underwood, T. J., J. A. Gordon, M. J. Millard, B. R. Lubinski, and S. P. Klosiewski. 2007. Appropriateness of the Darroch estimator for monitoring adult chum salmon on the middle Yukon River, Alaska. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27: 303-314.
- Wagner, T. and J.A. Sweka. 2011. Evaluation of hypotheses for describing temporal trends in Atlantic salmon parr densities in northeast U.S. rivers. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 31: 340-351.
(.pdf - 482 KB)
- Wagner, T., J.T. Deweber, J. Detar, and J.A. Sweka. 2013. Landscape-scale evaluation of asymmetric interactions between brown trout and brook trout using two-species occupancy models. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 142: 353-361.
(.pdf - 316 KB)
Technical Reports & Bulletins :
- Bartron, M.L. 2005. Pleasant River parr and smolt parentage analysis for Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Lamar, PA.
- Julian, S. and M.L. Bartron. 2005. Fine-scale analysis of genetic population structure amon horseshoe crab spawning beaches in Delaware Bay. U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Lamar, PA.
(.pdf - 268 KB)
- McKeon, J., J. Sweka, J.Trial, J.Kocik,, C. Legault, and T. Sheehan. 2003. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) North Atlantic Salmon Working Group Halifax, NS, Canada, National Report for the United States.
- Millard, M.J., S. Welsh, J. Skjeveland, W. Fletcher, J. Mohler, M. Hendrix, A. Kahnle, and K. Hattala. 2000. Mortality associated with catch and release of American shad and striped bass in the Hudson River. Final Report: 1999 Project Year to: NY State Department of Environmental Conservation, Hudson River Fisheries Unit, New Palz, NY.
- Millard, M.J. 2000. The horseshoe crab stock assessment process; searching for clues. In Proceedings of the Delmarva Coastal Bays Conference III: Tri:State Approaches to Preserving Aquatic Resources. EPA/620/R-00/001. US EPA National Health and Environmental Effects Research Lab, Narragansett, RI.
- Millard, M.J., J. Mohler, A. Kahnle, A. Cosman, K. Hattala, and W. Keller. 2001. Mortality associated with catch and release angling of striped bass in the Hudson River. Report to: NY State Dept. of Environmental Conservation, Hudson River Fisheries Unit, New Paltz, NY.
- Swihart, G., M. Millard, N. Lazar, and C. Wenner. 2000. Gill net selectivity for the spring weakfish fishery near Delaware. A report to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Weakfish Technical Committee, ASMFC, Washington, DC.
- Sweka, J. A., J. Mohler, and M. J. Millard. 2006. Relative Abundance Sampling of Juvenile Atlantic Sturgeon in the Hudson River. Final Report to the New Your State Department of Environmental Conservation, Hudson River Fisheries Unit, New Paltz, NY, 44 pages.
(.pdf - 2.86 MB)
- Sweka, J.A., M. Millard, and J.F. McKeon. 2002. Evaluation of sampling methodology for Merrimack River age-1 Atlantic salmon parr abundance estimation (1994-2001). Fishery Management Report. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Northeast Fishery Center, Lamar, PA.
- Sweka, J. A., M. L. Bartron, J. Trial, and P. Christman. 2008. Assessment of watershed scale habitat features on the survival of juvenile Atlantic salmon. Final Report to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, Project Number: 2003-0118-028.
(.pdf - 939 KB)