Northeast Eastern Cougar Blog: Cougar Craze -- Resurgence in news stories

Cougar Craze -- Resurgence in news stories

After a lull in the conversation of its existence, the elusive cougar has re-appeared in media across the Northeast. Why? You tell us.

Here's a recap of recent stories. Remember, back in March 2011, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service concluded that a specific subspecies, the eastern cougar, is extinct. We acknowledged that cougars of other subspecies origin have been seen in the Northeast, such as the one killed in Connecticut this past summer.

Pat Fritz's Gravatar Summer 2009 my neighbor told me see she saw a Mountain lion in my back yard living under a pile of limps. At that time my dogs would go nuts barking in the evenings. One evening the dogs started barking crazy so I got a spot light and my 2 dogs and went to the fence. The mountain lion started toward me and the dog that was next to me started barking. Mountain lion must not been able to see me because of the spot light. The mountain lion got to about 10 to 15 yards when second dog started barking and the mountain lion ran and climbed up the first apple tree. Once the mountain lion saw that the dogs were not after him he climbed out of the tree and went back into the woods. Later that weekend a different neighber said he saw the Mountain lion but did not know what it was, another up on top of the mountain said he heard the mountain lion couple nights. Now I can say I have seen a Mountain lion in Sabillasville, MD
# Posted By Pat Fritz | 1/29/12 8:22 PM
ronald fogle's Gravatar In the winter muzzleloader season of 1994 for frederick county ,maryland, I saw and tracked in the snow a cougar for about a quarter mile, before she went into mt laural to thick to follow. Approx. 5 months later while searching for morels in the spring and about 2 miles from the original siteing I found a kill sight that contained 5 or 6 deer, just bones by now, but all had been biten where the spine met the skull. Upon further investigation of site was able to find a very large tree that had blown into the v of another tree that was covered with claw marks, and was used to jump on the deer when they passed under the tree.
# Posted By ronald fogle | 1/30/12 8:32 PM
's Gravatar Sunday, 2/19/12, 11:30 AM. I was out on my back deck and about 50-75 yards out in the woods I saw a mountain lion. I have sen bobcats and this was not a bobcat.
# Posted By | 2/19/12 12:23 PM
Charles's Gravatar I am Charles. I am from SC. I was playing golf at Sumter National right off I-95 and Hwy 378 near Turbeville, SC in 1993 or 1994. Five of us were on the 17th green fixing to putt when a large brown cat with a long tail walked across the fairway 90 yards from us. It was bigger than a bobcat and had the long tail. It didn't look as big as the pictures I have seen of the cougars. It was the one and only time I have seen a cat like this in SC. The golf course was like a game preserve, so there were plenty of deer and other animals living there. I assume it is long gone, but we saw it that day.
# Posted By Charles | 2/23/12 7:25 AM
Mookie's Gravatar Yesterday in Lancaster, Ma. It was around 9:00 am when I saw a white cat way too big to be a house cat. I witnessed it near a barn with cows. The cows had a few new borns and they were out side at the time. The cat must have been eyeing the young ones. When i noticed it he was going away from the cows across a field headed into the woods.
# Posted By Mookie | 3/6/12 8:17 AM
Glen's Gravatar 3:00 AM , 03-05-12, Under partial Moonlight in Buncombe County WNC near Asheville. I saw a Black Panther running near full speed. It was long and black. Close in size to a med. dog. To narrow a shape to have been a bear. It traversed approx. 40 feet in 2-3 seconds and maybe 2-3 strides. It passed close beneath me under my deck.It absolutely freaked me out.
# Posted By Glen | 3/28/12 9:56 PM
's Gravatar Driving back from Rolex this weekend. East of Bloomington Il. saw courgar crossing highway 75. Two others saw the same thing.
# Posted By | 4/30/12 2:41 PM
Kevin's Gravatar My wife called me today from Cat Hallow Park in Killingly, Ct. She was walking our rottie/shepard mix and he was lagging about 20 ft behing her. She turned to call him and about 20 ft behind him crossing from one side of the trail to the other was a cat with a long swooping tail the same size has our dog.....he is 85 lbs. The cat was tannish and didnt turn to look, just crossed from one side into the brush on the other.
# Posted By Kevin | 6/7/12 4:44 PM