Northeast Eastern Cougar Blog: Check out what the media has to say about eastern cougars!

Check out what the media has to say about eastern cougars!

Google news search shows around 400 results for news stories about the eastern cougar review. We had around 30 press calls yesterday and continue to have calls today.

We have had close to 100 views of this blog, which launched yesterday. Almost 50 readers have already told us their cougar stories. Keep sending them our way!

Here’s a snapshot of stories on the big screen.

Associated Press:
Federal researchers declare eastern cougar extinct, March 2
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – The "ghost cat" is just that. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service on Wednesday declared the eastern cougar to be extinct, confirming a widely held belief among wildlife biologists that native populations of the big cat were wiped out by man a century ago.

NPR:
Fish And Wildlife Service: Eastern Cougar's Extinct, March 2
The 8-foot-long cat once roamed from Canada to South America. The Eastern Cougar died out as its habitat disappeared.

The New York Times:
Eastern Cougar Is Declared Extinct, With an Asterisk, March 3
Seven decades after the last reported sighting of the eastern cougar, the federal Fish and Wildlife Service declared it extinct Wednesday and recommended that it be removed from the nation’s endangered species list.

CNN blog:
Eastern cougar declared extinct, confirming decades of suspicion, March 2
The eastern cougar has been declared extinct by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, confirming decades of suspicion that the elusive subspecies was no more.

Postmedia news:
U.S. agency declares Eastern cougar extinct, despite sightings, March 3
Did the cat come back? Or has the Eastern cougar -despite hundreds of reported sightings in recent decades -been dead and gone for 73 years? It appears the answer depends on which side of the Canada-U.S. border the question is asked.

Christian Science Monitor:
Eastern cougar declared extinct by US government, March 3
The US Fish and Wildlife Service declared the eastern cougar to be officially extinct, Wednesday. The cougar is also known to many as the catamount, ghost cat, mountain cat, mountain lion, panther, or puma. The eastern cougar has been thought by many to differ from its western counterpart in its tawny color and longer tail.

USA Today:
Eastern cougar officially declared extinct, March 3
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has officially declared the eastern cougar extinct, 79 years after the last one was reported in the wild in the United States.

McClatchy Newspapers:
Eastern cougars no longer exist in eastern part of U.S., report finds, March 2
COLUMBIA, S.C. A study to see if eastern cougars exist in 21 eastern U.S. states has confirmed a long-held belief: The native cats are extinct in this part of the country.

Daily Hampshire Gazette:
Eastern mountain lion declared extinct, but local observers skeptical, March 3
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service announced Wednesday that the agency's wildlife biologists have concluded the eastern mountain lion is extinct, but local believers said the declaration is contradicted by dozens of reported local sightings.

Michael F.'s Gravatar Unless you have documented that there are western cougars in central Pennsylvania, then I believe you are wrong in your conclusion that the eastern cougar is extinct. My father and sister were on a remote backwoods gravel road in 2004 or 2005, and saw a large golden-colored cat cross the road just 8 to 10 feet in front of them in broad daylight. Their description at that time corresponds to the photograph of the stuffed eastern cougar in today's (3.3.2011) Yahoo Science News article. That article states the photo is from the State Museum of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and shows the taxidermy of the Eastern Cougar said to have been the last cougar killed in Pennsylvania in 1874 by Thomas Anson. My sister today saw that photo and confirms the color matches the cat they saw, the thickness of the tail corresponds with what they saw, and that the cat was larger than my 90 lb. golden retriever, just for a rough size comparison. N. of Dubois Pa.
# Posted By Michael F. | 3/3/11 10:12 PM
Ashley's Gravatar I was reading your article regarding regarding the extinction of the mountain lion. I beg to differ. Up until about a year and a half ago I lived in Roscoe New York. I myself saw a mountain lion when I was driving on highway 17 between Roscoe and Liberty New York, this sight was about 2-3 years ago tops. Also, I worked at the Roscoe Nursing home. A few of my fellow employees had spoke of encounters with mountain lions. My husbands friend was chased around his truck in Downsville New York, which is right next to Roscoe, by a mountain lion. Don't get me wrong, they do not run rampant in Roscoe. But, there have been many sightings in this particular region over the past few years. Please consider surveying this town and it's surrounding towns for this animal before declaring it extinct.
# Posted By Ashley | 3/4/11 8:12 AM
Dustin's Gravatar The cougar is not extinct. My brother has wrote articles about it in some of the outdoor magazines here in Alabama. There are two in Jackson county Alabama and thats all we know of so far. He has run into them on occasion and i think he even has one on a game camera which the yaoo article says no one has got a picture on one. Please feel free to reply back for more research if you would like. You can declare they are extinct, but how do you know. Two in an area as large as Jackson county would be easily missed, unless you know where to look. To declare these animals extinct is a big step and a great misfortune. Several animals all over the world have met this fate, but to my knowledge you have missed a few lines. Most of this research i hear is done where the animals were most populated, but like articles states westerns have migrated, so doesnt that mean that the eastern could have migrated to other parts of the eastern region and went to places where you would think they might not be. One of these cougars is located right on the outskirts of Scottsboro, Alabama. There are many hunters here but only a handful have seen it. Hundreds of hunters hunt the spot where it lives and maybe two have seen it. It is very hard to find a roaming animal in a forest, for example deer. Deer are over populated in Jackson county, and you could set out 50 hunters and half might not see them. So two cougars in a county with over populated deer arent seen that much, this proves the research was not done to a better extent. I would like someone to reply and explain why they are declared extinct if the proof is out there but no one has turned it in. Some people might not turn in a photo to FWS because they havent heard the info on cougars or just say wow a cougar and delete it.
# Posted By Dustin | 3/4/11 8:12 AM
Mike's Gravatar There was no mistake about what I saw. I am contacting you because of the news release about the extinction notice. I was VERY fortunate and elated to see that cougar . Conditions were perfect – very high winds and bright sunshine. I was walking on VA route 613 in Giles County, VA where it borders the Mountain Lake Wilderness Area. I was walking up a steep section of the road that then leveled out. As I came up the hill towards that level area, there was an animal in the middle of the road walking away from me. At first glance, I was seeing its large tail raised up and thought Coyote; but the LONG tail then drooped down and it was absolutely unmistakable. At that moment, for some reason, the cougar turned its head and looked back over its right shoulder and saw me. (remember, it was VERY windy- there was no way it could have heard me) At that moment, it turned to the right and ran into the forest, giving me a full broadside look at it from less than 100 feet away. The body was very long (4’-5’) and low(a little over knee-high) and the tail was also long. (3’-4’) The color was like that of dead grass and it appeared to have a dark colored tip on its tail.
# Posted By Mike | 3/4/11 10:56 AM
Lorraine's Gravatar I am writing to take exception to your declaration that the cougar (panther) is extinct in the northeastern United States. A recent newspaper article says that you have taken it off the endangered species list.
I take issue with your announcement and action. The panther (cougar) is very much alive in Vermont. As you can see below, I have written a letter to the editor of an area newspaper expressing my displeasure. As stated, there have been sightings here in my Town of Weathersfield, Vermont during the past 60 years, and as recently as the past decade. One was seen near the village of Perkinsville, one on a back road at the base of Mount Ascutney, one on a seldom used dirt road in a remote area near my home. If you want to argue that people do not know what they are seeing, then you are more narrow minded than I think you are. A panther (cougar) is something one does NOT forget seeing due to their large size, color, and very long rope like tail curled upward. I was roughly twelve years of age when I saw a panther loping across our farm field in the late 1940's. It then went over the wooded bank down to the brook. My mouth hung open is amazement and awe at what I was seeing.

If you want information about sightings in Vermont, start using your computer search engines instead of motion activated cameras scattered in arbitrarily chosen places. A man named Harold Hitchcock who lived in Middlebury VT documented any and all sightings. You will find numerous websites regarding him. In fact I will do you a favor and email you the "Yahoo Search" I just did. Mr. Hitchcock spoke at one of our Weathersfield Historical Society programs in the 1980's or so about his work.

As you know (or I presume you do) the cougar is a very elusive creature, not given to showing itself. When one is seen, it is by pure chance in being in the right place at the right time. Believe me, your cameras are no excuse to remove this magnificent animal from the Endangered Species List!
# Posted By Lorraine | 3/7/11 11:11 AM
Cheryle's Gravatar After reading about the extinction of these beautiful animals I just had to write and let you know that I think they are still around. I live in North Georgia and saw one about 7 to 8 years ago run in front of me while I was driving. It was coming up from the river crossed the road in front of me and went up into the woods. My husband and I have also seen one about 3 to 4 years ago at the foot of the Grassy Mountains here in North Georgia where we startled it and it started running. And I have a friend who had them on her property here in North Georgia also. Good luck with finding more and realizing that they are not extinct.
# Posted By Cheryle | 3/7/11 12:34 PM
Lawrence Agee's Gravatar Regarding the extinction of the Eastern Cougar, in a wildlife survey at our local post office about 2 months ago in Williston, Vermont, citizens were invited to place a dot on the location of wildlife citings. One of the dots was the sighting of a cougar, not by me but by someone else. As I looked at the map more closely, the dot was on my property. I have 100 acres and have seen tracks in the mud way in the back of my property. The tracks were large and with big claws. I assumed it was a bear track. It may be worth an investigation when the snow melts.
# Posted By Lawrence Agee | 3/7/11 2:30 PM
greenacres's Gravatar I live in a rural part of washington county, Alabama. I saw a tawny long tailed cat under a security light in my yard and again running across highway 45 between Sunflower and McIntosh. At the time there was a huge amount of clear cutting going on just south of this area because of a steel plant. After the second sighting I notified wildlife and fisheries. They insisted the only way this could have been possible is if someone released a large cat. They spoke to me with much disinterest. If they do not investigate how will we ever know the truth.
# Posted By greenacres | 6/11/11 11:20 PM
not available's Gravatar Well the US report is not accurate. Currently a Eastern Cougar was killed in Trumbul CT. Two more spotted in Fairfield CT. Hardly extinct.
# Posted By not available | 6/18/11 11:24 PM
's Gravatar I have to say that I don't believe every single cougar in PA is gone. I believe I just saw a couger today and ive been continiously seeing them for the past 4 years of living in this house! I live in Greensburg PA and they are about 4ft long, and have a tail going to the ground, and they are a light tan color. Im certain they are not house cats because this time I saw it out of my window about 25ft away. About a year ago I saw a huge black animal that looked like an oversized cat but about 10x larger, which I have no idea what it was. I had bob cats in the woods behind my old house in this area so I know its no one of them. What could they be? are they cougars? should I contact someone?
# Posted By | 12/5/11 4:59 PM