Northeast Eastern Cougar Blog: Welcome to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Northeast Region’s eastern cougar blog!

Drawing of eastern cougar; Credit: Mark McCollough, USFWS
Drawing of eastern cougar by Mark McCollough
We will post your stories and comments about cougars here. Please leave them as comments on entries, or e-mail them to meagan_racey@fws.gov.

Check back often for updates, click through past entries, visit the "About the eastern cougar" page, and see our site for more information!

*Note: Stories, responses and comments will be screened and must be approved before being posted. Stories were originally posted on the Service's cougar site, but we will now post them here. See http://www.fws.gov/northeast/ecougar to read stories from 2007 to 2010.

Joe's Gravatar I am a retired State Trooper and I want to inform you that I observed a cougar in the late 80,s early 90,s while on an investigation in the woods of Sharon, Connecticut. During my career I observed many bear,deer, lynx,bobcat and other wildlife but only one cougar and I will never forget that beautiful animal. I was at the Vet with my dogs several months ago and the story of the cougar came up in conversation. The Vet said she knows about cougars in that part of the State and showed me photographs of a full size cougar lying on her friends deck within the last year in north western Connecticut.
# Posted By Joe | 3/2/11 8:16 PM
kathy's Gravatar My husband seen a large cougar in lee county, ms. this was only a few miles from tupelo, ms. this was on the trace, it was bout 2;00 am in the morning and he was driving on the trace. a large couger crossed the road in front of him , he got home and was telling me about it. then about a few weeks after that a friend of my son showed a picture of some cougers eating a deer , and this was caught at night , this was took some where close to north mississippi. my daddy has told me stories about seeing some big cats , like the cougar in mississippi when i was a little kid , he said they have been around for years in north ms.
# Posted By kathy | 3/3/11 7:18 AM
's Gravatar There was at least one black one in Gilmer County, GA in 1980 or 1981. (I am aware that GA is not in the Northeast)
# Posted By | 3/3/11 10:22 AM
's Gravatar As of 2010 a couger has been seen in Dorset Vt. There have been reports of several cougers in the northern part of New York.
# Posted By | 3/3/11 11:42 AM
Ellen Mintzer's Gravatar On our way home from Greensboro, Vt. in the mid 80's, on Rt. 93 S, at the top of the road, where it takes a deep downhill dip, my husband & I watched the unmistakable figure of a cougar go bounding across the road. We were both awestruck and couldn't believe what we had both seen. The long tail was key. We didn't know who to report it to.
# Posted By Ellen Mintzer | 3/3/11 1:05 PM
Rick's Gravatar About five years ago I was driving on a rural road in Novi, Michigan and I am 1000% sure that a cougar/mountainlion ran across the the road in front of me. It was in full stride, long body and long tail. I called the police, they came out and together we found huge feline paw prints and deer tracks in the soft soil next to the road. They are not extinct !!
# Posted By Rick | 3/3/11 3:37 PM
Denise (SWVA)'s Gravatar I know there are Mountain Lions I have seen 4 of them through the years. The first time I was driving on 23N near Pound, VA when the sleek cat darted across the road and went into a yard of a house. Then I saw one in Carbo, VA again the Big Cat darted across the road jumped the railing off the road and went down a steep incline it was after a cow. The last time I saw one was on Guests River Road near the mine there it was dragging a dear across the road into the swamp there. So I know there are big cats still roaming these Mountain. Oh I forgot this was back in 2001 behind my sisters house is a Mountain and in that Mountain a female gave birth to 2 kittens. We saw her and the kittens. All of these sittings were at night and I can tell you when you hear a mother cat she sounds like a women crying. That whole summer you could go out on the back porch and hear her crying it was very scary. So they can say the Cougar is no more but I know better.
# Posted By Denise (SWVA) | 3/3/11 7:39 PM
N's Gravatar My dad, a minister, saw one near New Boston, MA in the 70s. My brother, a PhD career geologist, saw one in Middleburg, VA in the 80s. In each case, along the road, a big cat with a tail.

" There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
# Posted By N | 3/3/11 11:55 PM
Len's Gravatar I read with interest a story in the Hartford Courant about the eastern cougar being extinct. I worked for over 30 years for the MDC (which is the water authority for the Hartford area) in their vast and heavily wooded reservoir area in the northwest part of Connecticut. One morning about 25 years ago one of my co-worker Tom and I were driving down a dirt service road along the Barkhamsted Reservoir (about 5 miles from the Mass. border) when a cougar came up from the reservoir and crossed the dirt road in front of us, long curving tail almost touching the ground, as it headed into the woods. I said to Tom, "You tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what I saw". We were surprised. Both of us worked a long time in the woods and saw so many different animals but that was a first, and last.I will never forget it
# Posted By Len | 3/4/11 10:46 AM
Ed Ahern's Gravatar At approximately 8:10pm on 6/9/11, right after the thunderstorm, I was sitting on my front porch and I spotted a cougar/mountain lion on Owl Hill trail, Trumbull, CT.

It was crossing Owl Hill Trail heading south towards the Trumbull Nature Center. It had a long upright tail that curved back at the tip. About 2 hours earlier we spotted a baby fawn standing all alone in the same yard that the cat appeared from. Maybe Momma was dinner?
# Posted By Ed Ahern | 6/10/11 3:22 PM
Wood's Gravatar Ive seen one in broad daylight in the road in goshen,CT. I have friends with legit sightings as well and some with pics. No one shows the DEP anymore because they just try everything to make you look like a fool - its a bobcat, those are k9 tracks, etc. Until that is, you show them dated pics and tracks from just an hour before they got there - then their attituide changes and very nicely they ask you not to show anyone else.
# Posted By Wood | 7/6/11 2:52 PM
Buck's Gravatar My son and I saw one cross Rope Ferry Road in Waterford in late June. About 11:15 pm. Tan in color with a long tail. It was a big cat...definitely not a coyote. The New London Day had a picture of one on Cross Road in Waterford about one year ago.
# Posted By Buck | 8/14/11 9:38 AM
W. Smith's Gravatar I was sitting in my car with my business partner about to go fishing in the Old Marsh in Bristol Conn.
# Posted By W. Smith | 6/18/12 11:16 AM
We were both hunters as well as fishermen.At about 7:30 on a summers evening a cougar walked out of the brush onto the road and stopped to look at us. It let out a scream and bolted across the road into more brush. The distance from us was about 40 feet and the creature was unmistakably a cougar.truly a beautiful sight never to be forgotten. This was in 1980
# Posted By W. Smith | 6/18/12 11:18 AM
's Gravatar We live in Southampton Massachusetts and I have taken a picture of a cougar myself and my neighbors have all seen. They have a striking walk , he was the size of a medium to large dog, rusty camel colored with white lower face with black around it. He had faint black patches down his spine to tail and a black tail tip with white underside and belly. Clearly a mountain lion. It was a spectacular sight and we went outside to watch from afar, he was not afraid of us and stop to take a look at us also. I have a beautiful face and hind end/back picture. I don't care what mass wildlife says!
# Posted By | 7/10/12 9:19 PM