7: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Northeast Regional Office Fishing Day; Jen Lapis (413-253-8303)
26: Turtle Time at Audubon Greenwich in Connecticut; call 203-869-5272 or go to this website to learn more: DEP Continues 2011 Year of the Turtle Activities
27: State of Massachusetts annual release of headstarted northern red-bellied cooters; Marion Larson (Marion.Larson@state.ma.us)
11: Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge Fishing Day; Susan Russo (978-443-4661)
26: State of Connecticut Year of the Turtle Day; More information to come, but see the website
Be a Citizen Scientist!
Citizen science programs allow people to partner with organizations and scientists to collect important biological data. PARC and the Service have collected some of those programs below.
- Connecticut Turtle Atlas
- Lake George, N.Y., Turtle Monitoring Program: Lake George Association, Inc., 518-668-3558
- Massachusetts Turtle Atlas
- Massachusetts Blanding's turtle research: Bryan Windmiller, email@example.com
- Massachusetts, Linking Landscapes: Tim Dexter, MassDOT, firstname.lastname@example.org; Mike Jones, USGS, email@example.com
- New Hampshire Fish and Game, Reptile and Amphibian Reporting Program
- Vermont Reptile and Amphibian Atlas Project
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science Sea Turtle Stranding Program
- Northeast PARC Working Groups:
- USA Turtle Mapping Project
- International Sea Turtle Observation Registry
Are you involved with a turtle citizen science program? Please send information on your citizen science programs to firstname.lastname@example.org and Meagan_racey@fws.gov.
Find your nature
Volunteer opportunities near you
The National Marine Life Center, Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife and partners release the turtles from the 2010 headstart program Credit: National Marine Life Center
Bristol County Agricultural School sophomores partnered with species experts to raise Blanding's turtles and released them in late spring into wetland habitat. Credit: Keith Shannon/USFWS
A group of biologists discuss their efforts to survey bog turtles in this habitat. Credit: Gary Peeples/USFWS