Today marks the 10th World Oceans Day! No matter where you live, whether it’s on the coast or in a land locked state, you can celebrate oceans and learn the important role they play on our planet.
To make the occasion even more special, this year is also the 40th anniversary of the Marine Mammal Protection Act. The Marine Mammal Protection Act protects and conserves marine mammals like polar bears, manatees, dugongs, walrus and otters.
Need some ideas on how to celebrate these two special occasions? We have a few suggestions! Learning about marine mammals and sharing that information is a great way to inspire others to conserve these magnificent animals.
- Host a marine mammal video party. Invite your friends over to watch one of the movies below and start a conversation about the importance of our oceans and the animals that call it home.
- “Planet Earth” documents an incredible array of habitats, including Ice Worlds, focusing on the North and South Pole and the majestic animals living there.
- “Arctic Tale” follows the challenging lives of a walrus and her calf and a mother polar bear with her cubs as they try to survive in the harsh Arctic climate.
- “Oceans” beautifully films the diverse array of animals and plants, including marine mammals, living together harmoniously in the world’s oceans.
- Check your local theater listings for one of these inspiring films.
- “IMAX: To The Arctic” captures the beauty of the Arctic while following the dramatic tale of a polar bear and her two small cubs. Released in April 2012, this film is still showing in IMAX theaters around the country.
- “Otter 501” tells the story of an orphaned, baby sea otter found off the California Coast and human efforts to save it. It’s showing in select theatres now and making its way across the country this summer.
- Visit your local library. You’d be surprised at the number of books that you find about marine mammals!
- Find out what is happening in your community. The Oceans Project is organizing events all over the country to celebrate World Oceans Day.
With so many opportunities to celebrate, how will you mark World Oceans Day?
** Please note that these movie suggestions do not indicate official endorsement by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.