OTHER RELATED ACTIONS AND DOCUMENTS
November 23, 2009: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is initiating a status review of the Gunnison sage-grouse to determine whether the species warrants protection under the Endangered Species Act. The Service intends to complete this 12-month review by the lawsuit settlement agreement date of September 15, 2010.
- Press Release: November 23, 2009 U.S. Fish And Wildlife Service To Review Status Of Gunnison Sage-Grouse
- Federal Register Notice: November 23, 2009 Notice of Intent to Conduct a Status Review of Gunnison sagegrouse (Centrocercus minimus)
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has completed its status review of the Gunnison sage-grouse and determined that the species does not warrant protection under the Endangered Species Act at this time and is withdrawn from the list of candidates species.
- Federal Register Notice: April 18, 2006 Final Listing Determination for the Gunnison Sage-Grouse as Threatened or Endangered
- Press Release: April 12, 2006 Gunnison Sage-Grouse Will Not Be Listed As Endangered, Removed From Candidate List
- Questions and Answers
- Literature Cited
- Peer Review of significant documents
On November 14, 2006, San Miguel County, Colorado and 9 additional parties filed a complaint and declaratory injunction relief related to the Service's withdrawal of the species from the list of candidate species.
On October 19, 2006, the Service and Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW) finalized a Candidate Conservation Agreement with Assurances (CCAA). Under the CCAA, CDOW will enroll landowners who agree to maintain or improve habitat for the species on their non-Federal lands. On October 23, 2006, the Service issued CDOW a permit allowing for incidental take of Gunnison sage-grouse and the implementation of the CCAA.
On July 6, 2005, the Service issued a notice of availability and receipt of application for an Enhancement of Survival Permit for the Gunnison Sage-Grouse pursuant to section 10(a)(1)(A) of the Endangered Species Act of 1973, as amended (ESA). The permit application includes a proposed Candidate Conservation Agreement with Assurances (CCAA) between the Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW) and the Service. These documents are available below:
- Federal Register Notice: July 6, 2005: Notice of Availability for the Gunnison Sage-Grouse CCAA, EA, and permit application
- CCAA for Gunnison Sage-Grouse Between CDOW and the Service
- Environmental Assessment of Umbrella CCAA for Gunnison Sage-Grouse in Colorado Correct version posted 7/8/2005
The Gunnison sage-grouse was a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act. It was put on the candidate list in January 2000 shortly before the Fish and Wildlife Service received a petition for listing. Petition to List the Gunnison Sage-Grouse and Literature Cited in the Petition.