Integrated Habitat Restoration
Putting the Pieces Together on the Land!

A sample township (36 square miles) illustrates an integrated habitat restoration approach to restoring wildlife habitat.   Habitat restoration options include private landowner agreements, easements, and acquisitions.  All are important to appeal to different landowners and to amplify habitat benefits.

CRP                  WRP



WEA (Wildlife Extension Agreement)

Partners for Fish and Wildlife (PFW) program 10-30 year private landowner agreement to restore or enhance habitat for high priority Federal trust resources. Funds to complete the identified habitat improvements may include multiple partners that contribute both cash and in-kind contributions. These partners include the PFW program; the landowner; state and tribal partners; and non-governmental organizations.

Wetland/Grassland Easement

A Fish and Wildlife Service paid perpetual easement that protects privately-owned wetlands and adjacent native prairie.  Duck stamp funds are used to purchase easements from willing sellers. The wetland/grassland easement program is available in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana.

NWR (National Wildlife Refuge)

Federal lands owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service through the Department of Interior. These lands provide habitat for Federal trust resources, such as migratory birds, endangered species, and anadromous fish. These lands also provide recreational opportunities for the American people to enjoy environmental education, hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, wildlife photography, and environmental interpretation

WPA (Fish and Wildlife Service Waterfowl Production Areas)

WPAs preserve wetlands and grasslands critical to waterfowl and other wildlife. These public lands, managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, were included in the National Wildlife Refuge System in 1966 through the National Wildlife Refuge Administration Act.The Duck Stamp Act, passed in 1934, was amended by Congress in 1958 to authorize acquisition of wetlands as WPAs.


CRP (Conservation Reserve Program)

A Farm Service Agency voluntary program for agricultural landowners. Through CRP, you can receive annual rental payments, for a 10 -15 year period, by planting permanent vegetation on highly erodable lands.

WRP (Wetlands Reserve Program)

A USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) voluntary program offering landowners the opportunity to protect, restore, and enhance farmable wetlands on their property.  Landowners receive a one-time up-front easement payment, which can be perpetual, 10 years, or 30 years.

WHIP (Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program)

A voluntary program for people who want to develop and improve wildlife habitat primarily on private land. Through WHIP, USDA's NRCS provides both technical assistance and up to 75 percent cost-share assistance to establish and improve fish and wildlife habitat. WHIP agreements between NRCS and the participant generally last from 5 to 10 years from the date the agreement is signed.

STATE Programs
School Land

State owned land managed to produce revenue to fund the State Public School System.  Wildlife habitat can be improved through cooperative agreements with a conservation organization.

WMA (Wildlife Management Area)

State owned and managed wildlife land.

Land Trust

A non-profit organization that holds easements on private land to benefit fish and wildlife habitat conservation; agriculture viability; and sustainable rural communities. Wildlife habitat can be improved through PFW program Wildlife Extension Agreements.

Indian Reservation

Tribal land on which habitat is developed through cooperative partnerships.

Farm Conservation Plans in Stutsman County, North Dakota illustrates on-the-ground examples of integrated habitat restoration.

Examples of Conservation Easements gives an in-depth look at the different types of easements available to landowners.