If you have filed a FOIA request and are not satisfied with your response, or have not received a response within the required timeframe
(20 working days from the date the Service forwards the request to the appropriate program or Regional Office, or 30 days if the Service
requested a 10-day extension), you may file a FOIA appeal.
You may get a quicker response by contacting the Service FOIA Officer before undertaking the formal appeal process.
To informally pursue your complaint, you will need to provide the following information (include in your letter, if you choose to write):
- Name, address, and phone number of the requester;
- Date of the original request;
- A copy or summary of the original request;
- Where the request was sent;
- Whether you received a response or not, or whether the response received was unsatisfactory and why.
Johnny Hunt - Phone: 703-358-2504 or
Teri Jackson - Phone: 703-358-2257
Division of Information Resources and Technology Management
4401 N. Fairfax Drive Ste. 340
Arlington, VA 22203
To contact the FOIA Officer via Email,
use the following address: email@example.com
If you are not satisfied with the results of your informal appeal of your FOIA request,
you may choose to file a formal FOIA appeal.
Formal FOIA Appeal
To file a FOIA appeal:
1. Label both your envelope and letter "FOIA Appeal."
2. If you received a response to your request, and wish to appeal the response, send your appeal to the Interior Department's FOIA officer
no more than 30 workdays from the date of the response you received.
3. If you did not receive a response to your request within 20 workdays from the date the Service forwarded the request to the appropriate
program or Regional Office (or 30 workdays, if the Service requested a 10-day extension), you may file your appeal at any time.
4. Enclose a copy of your original request and copy of the denial letter or Service response or other correspondence.
5. State the reason you are appealing (e.g., no response, denial of a fee waiver, or a withholding of information), and indicate why you believe
the Service's action to be in error.
Where to Send Appeal
Send your appeal to the following address:
Department of the Interior
Office of the Solicitor
1849 C Street, N.W.
Room 6556, Main Interior Building
Washington, D.C 20240
(Attn: FOIA Appeals Office)
fax: 202 208 6677
You should receive a response regarding your appeal within 20 workdays after its receipt in that office.
Visit 43 CFR 2.18