Migratory Birds
Conserving the Nature of America

Bird Banding Permits

Because banding birds requires capturing the birds and handling them before the banding takes place, the banding of birds in the United States is also controlled under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and requires a federal banding permit. Some states require a state permit as well. Only official federal bands may be legally placed on birds that are released to the wild within the United States. Bird banding permits, supplies of bird bands, and bird banding data are administered by the Bird Banding Laboratory.

Return to Migratory Birds Permits Page


Last updated: June 15, 2009