Photo collage of wildlife and on-site recreational
activities at Leavenworth NFH.
Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery provides several popular on-site recreational public uses on the facility grounds. These are offered by hatchery staff:
- Guided and Self-Guided Hatchery Tours – The hatchery is open every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. The hatchery is open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. * Winter and holiday hours may vary. Self-guided tours are available during office hours. Guided tours may be arranged, at least two weeks in advance, upon request. Please call 509-548-7641 to arrange a tour.
- Winter Wildlife Snowshoe Tours - Trained naturalists provide guided tours of the nature trail after it has been blanketed by snow starting mid-December through February, Friday - Sunday. Snowshoes are provided and the tours are free. Reservations must be made in advance. www.friendsofnwhatcheries.org
- Icicle River Nature Trail - Our one-mile loop trail is fully accessible and offers a rare opportunity to see spawning salmon. This is a non-strenuous trail for families and nature enthusiasts.
- Watchable Wildlife viewings - Two wildlife viewing blinds as well as several benches along the trail provide opportunities to rest and enjoy nature in action.
- Birding - This is a birder’s paradise with frequent sightings of the American Dipper, Western Tanager, Rufous Hummingbird, and many more. An Eagle Scout project exhibits many bird nesting houses along with descriptions of a few featured species.
The recreational opportunities listed below are coordinated through the Special Use Permit system of the Department of the Interior. These uses include:
- Summertime horseback rides (Icicle Outfitters)
- Leavenworth Summer Theater
- Rafting on Icicle Creek
- Winter horse-drawn sleigh rides (Icicle Outfitters)
- Cross Country Skiing (Leavenworth Winter Sports Club)
- Special events:
- Washington State Special Olympics (March)
- Leavenworth Marathon (October)
- Friends of Northwest Hatcheries Programs
- Winter ski events
- Wenatchee River Salmon Festival (September)
- Check out fishing opportunities and regulations for Icicle Creek and other local waters at the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife website.