Photo collage of wildlife and on-site recreational
activities at Leavenworth NFH.
Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery provides several popular on-site recreational public uses on the facility grounds. These are offered by hatchery staff:
- Guided and Self-Guided Hatchery Tours – The hatchery is open every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day. The hatchery is open from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm. * Winter and holiday hours may vary. Self-guided tours are available during office hours. Guided tours may be arranged, at least two weeks in advance, upon request. Please call 509-548-7641 to arrange a tour.
- Icicle River Nature Trail - Our one-mile loop trail is fully accessible and offers a rare opportunity to see spawning salmon. This is a non-strenuous trail for families and nature enthusiasts.
- Watchable Wildlife viewings - Two wildlife viewing blinds as well as several benches along the trail provide opportunities to rest and enjoy nature in action.
- Birding - This is a birder’s paradise with frequent sightings of the American Dipper, Western Tanager, Rufous Hummingbird, and many more. An Eagle Scout project exhibits many bird nesting houses along with descriptions of a few featured species.
- Winter Wildlife Snowshoe Tours - Trained naturalists provide guided tours of the nature trail after it has been blanketed by snow starting mid-December through February, Friday - Sunday. Snowshoes are provided and the tours are free. Reservations must be made in advance. www.friendsofnwhatcheries.org
The recreational opportunities listed below are coordinated through the Special Use Permit system of the Department of the Interior. These uses include:
- Summertime horseback rides (Icicle Outfitters)
- Leavenworth Summer Theater
- Rafting on Icicle Creek
- Winter horse-drawn sleigh rides (Icicle Outfitters)
- Cross Country Skiing (Leavenworth Winter Sports Club)
- Special events:
- Washington State Special Olympics (March)
- Leavenworth Marathon (October)
- Friends of Northwest Hatcheries Programs
- Winter ski events
- Wenatchee River Salmon Festival (September)
- Check out fishing opportunities and regulations for Icicle Creek and other local waters at the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife website.