Volunteers are an essential part of operations at Lake Woodruff National Wildlife Refuge. They perform many vital functions such as:
- Staff the Visitor Center, greeting visitors, and providing interpretative information
- Run Friend’s Nature Store
- Assist with cleaning the Visitor Center including bathrooms and outside areas.
- Assist with maintenance of butterfly garden, landscape, and bird feeders
- Assist with activities for school programs or field trips (volunteers would be trained to conduct activity, etc.) School programs will take place at schools and would be under the direction of the Education Specialist.
- Assist with office duties such as answering phones, development of materials for Website or Facebook pages, flyers, volunteer database, etc.
Some volunteers (based on their willingness, and physical capabilities and limitations) may be requested to:
- Assist with trail maintenance and kiosk and parking area cleaning.
- Assist with levee moving (if certification training is completed).
- Remove invasive, exotic vegetation in restoration areas.
- Assist with other physical outdoor activities to help staff maintain the Refuge. For example, in previous year, volunteers stripped or cleaned and painted all Refuge gates.
If you have an interest in wildlife, enjoy working outdoors or with people, or simply want to contribute in some way, consider joining the Refuge’s volunteer staff. Training and uniforms are provided—you supply the interest and time. Becoming involved is easy. Simply fill out a volunteer application and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Lake Woodruff NWR, 2045 Mud Lake Road, DeLeon Springs, FL 32130.
RV Work Camper Volunteer Opportunity
Many people have joined the RV lifestyle and are looking for opportunities to have a work camping/volunteer experience.
Do you have an RV? Do you like volunteering? Are you looking to join this active lifestyle? Come join our crew!
Individual work camp volunteers are expected to provide a minimum of 24 hours or 3 days of service per week. Couples must provide a combined minimum of 48 hours or 4 days per week in exchange for a fun, interesting volunteer experience along with RV site. Occasionally, you may be asked to volunteer additional hours to help with special projects or events.
Our RV sites are level and rustic. Each site has a back-in RV space, tow vehicle parking, a deck, full electrical and water hook-ups, and limited sewer hook-up. Laundry facilities are available. Campsites are located on the Refuge but no other camping is allowed.
Simply fill out a volunteer application and email the form to email@example.com or mail to Lake Woodruff NWR, 2045 Mud Lake Road, DeLeon Springs, FL 32130.
For More Information
For more information about volunteering at the Refuge call 386-985-4673 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What's a Volunteer?
Someone willing to give their time and efforts to help.
Volunteers work side-by-side with our staff, or independently. With your help, we will enhance the quality of wildlife habitat and public use opportunities. Our program offers challenges for everyone and volunteers from all walks of life are encouraged to apply!