MYSTERY PHOTO VIEW OUR LIBRARY OF MYSTERY PHOTOS
What’s the Story?
Laboratory pathologists determine the cause of death for animal carcasses submitted as evidence. For example, in an investigation of a dead wolf, it is essential to know if the animal was shot or hit by a car. Surgical instruments are important tools of the trade for pathologists.
- These photos change frequently. Check back for more mystery photos.
- These photos should not be used for identification purposes. Detailed information to assist with selected species identification problems can be found at Publications and Identifications Guides.
- For more information about Protected Status, view our U.S. Wildlife Laws page.
- You may download these photos for educational purposes with credit to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), but cannot use them for commercial purposes or sell them.
- Copyright © US Fish & Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory.