MYSTERY PHOTO VIEW OUR LIBRARY OF MYSTERY PHOTOS
Black Bear Claws
North American Black Bear
U.S. ESA - Threatened as U. americanus luteolus; all other subspecies are covered by Similarity of Appearance to a Threatened Species; CITES - App.II
What’s the Story?
Like other mammals, the claw is actually a sheath of keratin covering a bony projection supported by the articulating end where the bone connects to another bone and is held in place by tendons and ligaments.
- These photos change frequently. Check back for more mystery photos.
- These photos should not be used for identification purposes. Detailed information to assist with selected species identification problems can be found at Publications and Identifications Guides.
- For more information about Protected Status, view our U.S. Wildlife Laws page.
- You may download these photos for educational purposes with credit to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), but cannot use them for commercial purposes or sell them.
- Copyright © US Fish & Wildlife Service Forensics Laboratory.