at Kirwin Reservoir
Under high water conditions, the Refuge offers outstanding fishing opportunities for crappie, walleye and catfish. A wide variety of other species can be found in the reservoir.
October 1, 2010: Due to high water, the seasonal boat closure will not be implemented on the main body of the reservoir. At all water levels, the Bow Creek Arm remains open to boats year round.
- Kirwin NWR is open to sport fishing in accordance with Kansas State Fishing Regulations. unless signs or buoys indicate otherwise
- Boating between October 1 and April 1 is prohibited except for south of Scout Cove. Boats may be launched at Scout Cove during this period
- A no wake zone is in effect within 300 feet of all shorelines and islands, as well as on the Bow Creek arm.
- The Solomon River arm is closed to all motorized boats. Motorless boats and float tubes are allowed on the Solomon River from August 1 through September 30.
- Boats must be equipped and operated in accordance with Kansas Boat and Water Safety Laws and appropriate Federal regulations.
- Disposing of fish cleanings on the Refuge or in the reservoir is littering. A fish cleaning station is located on the square in the city of Kriwin