MacKay Island National Wildlife Refuge
Location: Knotts Island, NC
Project: Repair Bulkhead Breaches
Project type: Recovery
This project will repair multiple breaches in a 1.2-mile bulkhead that surrounds a portion of the MacKay Island National Wildlife Refuge.
Conservation / Restoration Goals
- Repair facilities to restore staff and visitor access
- Preserve wintering snow geese and waterfowl habitat
- Preserve a conservation legacy area
- Restores staff and visitor access
- Mitigates public safety concerns
- Restores/preserves habitat
Hurricane Sandy damaged a 1.2 mile bulkhead that surrounds the portion of the refuge known as Live Oak Point. Weakened areas gave way and large sections of bulkhead were ripped away, exposing the Point to massive erosion during Sandy and subsequent storms. The amount of erosion is compromising the only automobile tour route on the refuge, an important feeding area for wintering snow geese, a high quality wintering waterfowl impoundment and a conservation legacy area.