Numerous employment opportunities exist within the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's Branch of Fire Management. National, regional and refuge level positions, of a permanent, seasonal or temporary status are continually announced as necessary. Federal jobs all are listed online, through a searchable database at USAJOBS.
To review current openings within the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, please see our position vacancy listings.
Download - Recruitment Brochure (4MB, pdf)
Web Sites for Fire Jobs
- Conservation Applicant Referral Evaluation System (CARES)
- DOI Temporary Fire Jobs
- UASJOBS 0462, 0455 Series Current Job Listings
Are you curious about what is expected of a seasonal wildland firefighter? A few questions to ask yourself BEFORE applying for a wildland firefighter position are:
- Do I enjoy the outdoors?
- Do I enjoy strenuous physical activities?
- Am I physically fit?
- Do I work well with others?
- Am I willing to travel?
- Am I willing to work long unusual hours?
- Am I willing to sleep in a tent for 14 days?
If you answered yes to the questions above, then a USFWS seasonal wildland firefighter position may be right for you!
Learn more by reading the Wildland Firefighter Job Description - Download PDF
There are three primary web sites to explore when searching for seasonal or permanent employment. CARES, a Fish & Wildlife Service operated site, lists permanent, career-oriented jobs. Seasonal and temporary positions are best found by searching USAJobs and the Department of the Interior Temporary Fire Jobs site.
Tips for first time job searchers:
- Wildland firefighters are classified as Forestry Technicians/Aids or Range Technicians/Aids.
- When searching by job "series", use 0462 (Forestry Technician/Aid) and/or 0455 (Range Technician/Aid).
- Expand your search area to the state or national level; it will increase your chance of finding jobs.
- If this is your first time applying, search lower pay grade levels, as it will also increase the number of applicable jobs.
- Read jobs announcements CAREFULLY and ensure you submit ALL required documents in order to be considered for a job