In 1970, one hundred and sixty-four acres of land was acquired by the Department of the Interior “to protect the features of a contiguous wetland area.” It wasnt until 1979, that this parcel became what we know today as Featherstone National Wildlife Refuge, fully establishing the refuge. In 1992, the refuge nearly doubled in size with an addition of 161 acres donated by Prince William County. The site is a short distance down stream along the Occoquan River from the Occoquan Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Deeds recorded between the late 1600’s and 1700’s give evidence that the lands of both refuges were most likely part of the large Deep Hole Farm. In the mid-1800’s, Featherstone became a rail corridor for the Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad. The original rail-bed with cinder and coal slag is still a prominent feature spanning the entire length of the refuge. Today the CSX Corporation maintains its north-south rail lines along the western edge of Featherstone.