Deer Flat NWR
The Oregon Trail passed to the north of the refuge area, along the Boise River, and south, along the Snake River. Settlement radiated out of the Boise area once the flow of traffic slowed on the Oregon Trail and settlement in Southwest Idaho began in earnest. Needing water to irrigate crops, settlers initially restricted their settlements to the areas close to rivers. The local desert had fertile soil and only lacked water to make it productive for agriculture.
The obvious solution was to establish irrigation reservoirs. In response to this problem across the arid west, President Theodore Roosevelt established the Bureau of Reclamation in 1902. Land owners near Deer Flat, led by a Mr. J.H. Lowell, lobbied this new agency for a local reservoir that would allow them to develop their land. The lobbying efforts were successful, and in 1906, the Bureau of Reclamation began work on Deer Flat Reservoir, which would later be renamed Lake Lowell in honor of the man who got it all started.
Creating Lake Lowell
A small-gauge train was used to haul, dump, and compact material at the Upper Dam. Horse teams were used at the Lower Dam. Workers also constructed a diversion dam on the Boise River and enlarged the New York Canal (named for the origin of its investors), which brings water from the Boise River to the reservoir.
The reservoir was completed in 1909 at a cost of $2,500,000. Unfortunately, local landowners greeted it with outrage rather than cheers. Most of the water first used to fill the reservoir either evaporated or leaked out! Fortunately, the reservoir soon began holding water. Lake Lowell is now one of the largest off-stream reservoirs in the American west, with the capacity to irrigate over 200,000 acres of land.
Establishment of the
Before leaving office, he gave the Refuge System a great start by establishing 51 more refuges across the nation. On just one day, 25 February 1909, he established 17 refuges, including Deer Flat. The refuge celebrated its 95th birthday in February, 2004.
Deer Flat was unstaffed until 1937, when 36 islands in the Snake River were added to the refuge to protect a riparian corridor for wildlife. After subsequent land acquisitions, the refuge now includes Lake Lowell and surrounding lands, 101 islands in the Snake River between the Ada-Canyon County line in Idaho and Farewell Bend in Oregon, for a total of over 11,000 acres.
Refuge Work Crews
In the early 1970's, Job Corpsmen from the nearby center in Marsing, Idaho constructed many of the current refuge facilities, including the Visitor Center, shop, a residence, and facilities at the Lower Dam Recreation Area.