Fish Culture Hall of Fame Nomination Criteria
Established in 1985 by the Fish Culture Section of the American Fisheries Society, the Hall of Fame (HOF) honors persons who have made significant contributions to the advancement of fish culture. The Hall of Fame is located in a replica 1899 Ice House located at the D.C. Booth Historic National Fish Hatchery in Spearfish, South Dakota.
Objectives of the Hall of Fame:
- To recognize fish culturists and others who have contributed in an outstanding or significant manner to the advancement of fish culture.
- To provide a permanent site where mementos and contributions of those honored can be viewed by fish culturists, workers and the general public.
- Emphasize to persons interested in fishery resources and fish culture the accomplishment, dedication, and principles of those honored and associated with the Hall of Fame.
- Promote the art and science of fish culture and related activities.
Selection Process & Criteria:
- Individuals selected for the Hall of Fame must have made significant contributions to the science and technology of fish culture. Contributions can be in the areas of cultural research, development of methods and equipment, administration and/or promotion of cultural programs, or in related fields such as nutrition, disease control, water quality, bioengineering, education, etc.
- Living Persons - Minimum 55 years of age; minimum of 25 years of service to fish culture or aquaculture; significant accomplishments in fish culture or aquaculture.
- Deceased Persons - Deceased for at least one year; minimum of 25 years service to fish culture or aquaculture; significant accomplishments in fish culture or aquaculture.
- Nominations may be submitted at any time by letter of nomination or a biographical sketch and description of accomplishments.
- Nominations received by the Hall of Fame coordinator will be kept on file and reviewed by the Hall of Fame Committee during the spring of each year (by majority vote) and will recommend approved nominations for vote by the membership.
- Approved nominations are sent to the membership for election (must be approved by 2/3 of all persons voting) with results presented at the Annual Meeting.
- Nominees approved will be inducted into the Hall of Fame the following spring during the month of May.
Contact the Hatchery Hall of Fame Coordinator for nomination forms.