Camp Lawton Archaeological Site
Southeast Region
Map of the Southeast Region Map of Kentucky Map of the Caribbean and Navassa Map of North Carolina Map of Tennessee Map of South Carolina Map of Arkansas Map of Louisiana Map of Mississippi Map of Alabama Map of Georgia Map of Florida

Timeline of Events

 


A brass clasp, shaped similarly to a fan

A brass clasp. Photo by Amanda L. Morrow, Georgia Southern University.

 

An open, rusted brass hook that looks similar to a locker hook
A knapsack hook. Photo by Amanda L. Morrow, Georgia Southern University.
  • August, 1864: Construction of Camp Lawton begins near Millen, Georgia, as a Confederate prison for captured Union soldiers.


  • November, 1864: As General Sherman’s forces approach, the camp is evacuated.


  • September, 1939: A Civilian Conservation Corps camp is established on the site, and construction begins on Magnolia Springs State Park, a 1,000-acre recreational park, now operated by the state of Georgia.


  • 1950: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service establishes Millen National Fish Hatchery, later renamed Bo Ginn National Fish Hatchery, adjacent to Magnolia Springs.


  • 1996: As a cost-cutting measure, Bo Ginn ceases operations, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service transfers use and occupancy of the hatchery to the state of Georgia.


  • December, 2009: The state of Georgia transfers use of the hatchery back to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.


  • Spring, 2010: Artifacts from Camp Lawton are discovered on land at Bo Ginn by Georgia Southern University archaeologists. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service secures the area to protect it for the American people.
Last updated: August 20, 2010