Wildlife and Habitat Management
Refuge Objectives: These are the underlying management goals of the refuge.
- Provide wintering habitat and protection for migratory birds.
- Provide protection and habitat to promote resident and migratory wildlife diversity.
- Provide protection and management for endangered and threatened plant and animal species (loggerhead sea turtle, American bald eagle, American alligator, wood stork, piping plover). Active management and research of loggerhead sea turtles is conducted every summer on Blackbeard Island by refuge staff and interns.
- Provide environmental education, interpretation and recreational opportunities to the visiting public.
Management Tools: These are the tools refuge staff use to accomplish these goals.
- Water level management for waterfowl, shorebirds, wood storks and wading birds.
- Prescribed fire
- Mechanical/chemical control of noxious plants.
- Public hunting for deer population management
- Law Enforcement