U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Birds, Birds, Birds - Text Only


Department of the Interior


Bird Habitat Conservation
Endangered Species
Federal Duck Stamp
Migratory Bird Management National Office
Migratory Bird Management Alaska Region
Migratory Bird Management Great Lakes-Big Rivers Region
Migratory Bird Management Mountain-Prairie Region
Migratory Bird Management Northeast Region
Migratory Bird Management Pacific Region

Migratory Bird Management Southeast Region
Migratory Bird Management Southwest Region

National Wildlife Refuge System

Bird Banding FAQs
Q: I spotted or killed a bird with a band, where do I report it?
A:BBL Reporting.
Q:What is done with the information I report off of the bird band?
A:Why Band Birds?
Q:Who Bands Birds?
A:Bird Banders
Visit Patuxent's Bird Banding Laboratory (BBL) web pages for program history, types of bands, resources for banders and more related FAQs.

Q: I found and injured bird. Who do I call or Where can I take it?

A:The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service does not have rehabilitators here on staff. Call your local veterinarian, humane society, or county or municipal wildlife agency to find the nearest qualified wildlife rehabilitator that can take and treat the bird. Or you could call the Regional FWS Migratory Bird Permit Office to locate a federally permitted migratory bird rehabilitator. You may also access the International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council (IWRC) Hotline site or the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association (NWRA) site to help put you in touch with a qualified rehabilitator. While you are locating a suitable rehabilitator, keep the bird in a dark box in a warm, quiet spot. Do not disturb it or offer it food. Let it rest.

Q:Can I keep the bird and nurse it myself?

A:No. It is against the law to keep a bird, injured, orphaned, or otherwise, without the proper permits. In most cases, injured birds required specialized professional attention to survive and to be successfully reestablished in the wild. Maintaining migratory birds as pets is prohibited.

Q:How can I become a migratory bird rehabilitator?

A: A Federal migratory bird rehabilitation permit is required to rehabilitate migratory birds. Most states also require you to have a permit. To qualify for a Federal permit, you must have facilities that meet minimum standards, a veterinarian that will provide critical care, and the ability and knowledge to identify, manage, and care for animals. Click here for the regulations and application form for Federal rehabilitation permits.

Education and Research
Bird Identification
Bird Banding Lab
Bird I.D.
Birds on National Wildlife Refuges

Educational Materials
Birdscapes Magazine

Conservation Library

FWS Kids Page

Technical Reports
Schoolyard Habitat Project Guide
Surveys & Monitoring

Survey Reports
Bird Species Accounts on NWRs
Education Programs
Federal Duck Stamp
International Migratory Bird Day
Partners In Flight

Schoolyard Habitat

Shorebird Sister Schools

Urban Conservation Treaty for Migratory Birds
For The Media

Grants and Partnerships
Bird Conservation Plans
Grant Programs
National Coastal Wetlands Conservation
Neotropical Migratory Bird Conservation Act
North American Wetlands Conservation Act
Urban Conservation Treaty for Migratory Birds
International Conservation
Federal Aid
Partnership Programs
North American Waterfowl Management Plan Joint Ventures
The Central Flyway Council
Conservation Partnership Liaison Division
Partners For Fish and Wildlife Program
Landowner Programs
Partners In Flight
Conservation Organizations
State, Territorial, Tribal
Urban Conservation
Urban Conservation Treaty for Migratory Birds

Laws, Regulations, and Policy
Laws and Acts
Federal Wildlife and Related Laws Handbook
Hunting Regulations
Migratory Bird Hunting Regulations
Migratory Bird Permits - Fact Sheet
Migratory Bird & Eagle Permits - Web Site
All Service Permits Page
National Eagle Repository
Policy Statements
Executive Order (EO)
EO Press Release
List of Migratory Birds
Office Of Law Enforcement

Avian Mortality
Cat Predation
Fatal Light Awareness Program
Oil Pits
Seabird Bycatch
Tower Kills
Bird Monitoring
Environmental Impact Assessments & Statements

Executive Order
List of Migratory Birds
Double-Crested Cormorants
Resident Canada Geese
Snow Geese
Swan Hunting-Pacific Flyway
Harvested Species
General Information
Harvest & Population Reports
Hunting Regulations
State License Information
Non-Harvested Species
Bird Conservation Plans

Surveys & Monitoring
Executive Order

Peterson Online
Birds on National Wildlife Refuges
Invasive Species
Schoolyard Habitat
General Hunting Information
Hunting Regulations
Harvest & Population Reports
Federal Duck Stamps
Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration
Image Libary
Festivals and Events
International Migratory Bird Day

National Wildlife Refuge Week
National Wildlife Refuge Centennial
Festival Events Registery