Payments to Non-US Recipients

NAWCA and NMBCA grants to recipients with headquarters that are not in the USA are paid either through the ITS process (if their bank is outside the USA) or through the EFT process (if their bank is in the USA). This page explains how to request payments under each system.

I. Preparing for your first payment request

Before requesting your first payment, verify that your organization still has an active Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and an active registration in the System for Award Management (SAM). If your registration has lapsed or if your record is incorrect, go to the DUNS ( and SAM ( websites to revalidate or update your information. These actions are free of any cost to you. Make sure that you enter your organization’s correct and complete banking information.

II. Making your request

The process depends on where your bank is located.

  • If your bank is outside the USA

Your payments will be transferred electronically through the U.S. Treasury’s International Treasury Services (ITS) system. For each payment request, your organization must complete two forms: the SF 270 or SF 271 and the ITS Payment Cover Sheet).You must send them together to the Department of Interior’s Business Center ( IBC) either by fax at 1-303-969-7281 or through ENCRYPTED email to IBC at

1. ITS Payment Cover Sheet:
Complete this form carefully. If your grant was awarded before September 2011, then the old agreement number assigned to your award, which is the hyphenated code shown at the top of your old Assistance Award, has been superseded by a new FWS document number. The new FWS document number for the award is a longer code that starts with the letter “F”.

2. Form SF-270/SF-271, Request for Advance or Reimbursement Instructions are provided on the second page of the form. Line 11 applies only to reimbursements and line 12 only to advances. (There are no instructions for line 12 because it is self-explanatory.) This form is also available at Your request, however, may include both reimbursement and advance if you have been authorized to do so.

You may send requests at any time and as often as you wish. (However, note that you must spend the funds within 7 calendar days if you requested $10,000 or more, or within 30 calendar days if you requested under $10,000.) If the request forms are correctly completed, IBC can process your payment in the U.S. Treasury’s ITS system within 5 business days. With an additional 2 days for bank transfers you should receive your payment within 7 days of your request.

If any part of the request is incorrect, it will be rejected. If this occurs, IBC staff will contact your NMBCA/NAWCA Program Officer within 3 days after the rejection to explain what must be corrected. If your request is rejected it could take up to 30 days to be paid, so it is worthwhile to proofread everything you submit.

  • If your bank is in the USA

For each payment request, your organization must complete the SF 270/SF 271 (Request for Advance or Reimbursement) form and send it to the FWS Grant Officer listed on your award as an email attachment (preferred) or in a fax. Instructions for filling out Form SF-270/SF 271   are provided on the second page of the form. Line 11 applies only to reimbursements and line 12 only to advances. (There are no instructions for line 12 because it is self-explanatory.)   Download this form here:  Your request may include both reimbursement and advance if you have been authorized to do so.

III. Reporting 

As a condition of your grant you must submit annual progress reports to your FWS grant officer. The information here is a general discussion of reporting requirements; your grant officer will inform you of the exact conditions of your award.

Annual Financial Reporting
At minimum, financial reports will be due annually, and may be due more often, up to quarterly. Financial reports are to be filed using the SF-425 Federal Financial Report. Please report on all grant and matching funds, but do not include other federal non-matching contributions to your project. Although the SF-425 can accommodate reporting on multiple awards, the NAWCA program will only accept SF-425 Financial Reports for a single grant. Do not report multiple awards on one form.
To submit an annual financial report, complete items 1 – 9 on the SF-425, then lines 10 d – k, skipping lines 10 a – c. If you have earned any income because of project activity (lease income on grant or match tracts, for example), enter that information on lines 10 l – o. Line 10i should be the entire match amount committed, as it appears on your Award. Line 10j should be all expended old and new match funds. If your organization has a negotiated indirect cost rate and indirect costs were included in your proposal budget, complete line 11. Then certify the form by filling out section 13, and mail the form with the original signature to your Grant Officer. The report may be filed any of these ways:
A. A printed SF 425, Federal Financial Report, with the signature of the recipient’s authorized representative;

B. A printed SF 425 with the representative’s signature affixed by stamp or other mechanical means if the instrument used is:

(1) In the signer’s general possession and control,

(2) Applied by the signer or by another with the signer’s authority, and

(3) Intended by the signer to constitute his/her signature;

C. An electronically submitted scanned or faxed copy of A or B; or

D. An electronically completed SF 425 with an electronic signature of the recipient's authorized representative.

USFWS requires all assistance award recipients to follow a standardized report schedule. The annual reporting period is dependent on the award’s performance start date.

Schedule for Annual Interim Financial Reports
Award Performance Start Date Annual Interim Report End Date Annual Interim Report Due Date
(90 days after report end date)
January 1 December 31 March 31
January 2- March 31 March 31 June 29
April 1 March 31 June 29
April 2- June 30 June 30 September 28
July 1 June 30 September 28
July 2- September 30 September 30 December 29
October 1 September 30 December 29
October 2 – December 31 December 31 March 31

Quarterly Financial Reporting
If the Recipient chooses the ability to receive advance payment of Federal funds through the electronic funds transfer process, quarterly financial reports are required during the entire project period. Quarterly reports are required if you have the option to request advances, even if you do not exercise this option. In addition a quarterly report must be filled each quarter regardless of whether you have expended any grant funds during that quarter. Federal Cash Transactions must be reported quarterly on the SF-425 and e-mailed to your NAWCA grant officer. You will use one Federal Financial reporting form for each grant, but you will provide different information on it for annual and quarterly reports.

To submit a quarterly report, fill out sections 1-9 on the SF-425, then section 10 a-c, and certify in section 13. If you have any grant funds you have drawn down but not expended, explain how long you have had the funds on hand and why in section 12.       
Quarterly financial reports are due on the following dates:

Reporting Quarter SF-425 due date
January 1 – March 31 April 30
April 1 – June 30 July 30
July 1 – September 30 October 30
October 1 – December 31 January 30

Progress Reporting
Annual progress reports will be due when your annual financial report is due. The Grant Administration Standards governing your award will provide details.

Subrecipient Reporting
Recipients of awards that include any funds obligated after January 2012 are required to report executive compensation and subaward information under the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (FFATA). Information must be reported via the FFATA Subaward Reporting System The information is subsequently published on  You must report on qualifying subawards by the end of the month following the month in which the subaward was issued. More information is available at

Recipients must report the following information:

  • for the recipient DUNS number and the DUNS number of their sub-awardee(s), the names and total compensation of the five most highly compensated officers of the entity if the entity in the preceding fiscal year received 80 percent or more of its annual gross revenues in Federal awards; and $25,000,000 or more in annual gross revenues from Federal awards; and the public does not have access to this information about the compensation of the senior executives of the entity through periodic reports filed under section 13(a) or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. §§ 78m(a), 78o(d)) or section 6104 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. See FFATA § 2(b)(1).

In addition, recipients must report the following information related to each subaward if the Federal award amount is equal to or over $25,000 at any time during the project period:
(1)  name of the entity receiving the award;
(2)  amount of the award;
(3)  information on the award including transaction type, funding agency, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance number, program source, and award title descriptive of the purpose of each funding action;
(4)  location of the entity receiving the award and primary location of performance under the award, including city, State, congressional district, and country;
(5)  unique identifier of the entity receiving the award and the parent entity of the recipient, should the entity be owned by another entity; and
Recipients must report executive compensation and subaward information by the end of the month after the subaward was made.  For example, if a subaward was made on December 18, the information must be entered by January 31.