WRP Annual Meeting 2014
Western Regional Panel Annual Meeting
Houston Texas - September 17-19, 2014
The 2014 Annual Meeting will be held jointly with the Gulf and South Atlantic Panel.
The Annual Meeting is hosted by Texas Parks and Wildlife. Earl Chilton of Texas Parks and Wildlife, as well as James Ballard of the Gulf and South Atlantic Panel are working to provide us with a great meeting.
Let us know that you are coming: Please register for the Annual Meeting here.
The Crowne Plaza Downtown is the location for the meeting. The hotel is in Downtown Houston located at 1700 Smith Street. http://www.cpdowntown.com
The Crowne Plaza Downtown is offering WPR members a rate of $118 plus tax.
In-House Reservations office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Call (713) 739-8800. Please mention group code: ANS when booking your room to receive the special meeting rate.
Simply fill in the dates for your stay in the “Book Your Hotel” box on the left of the page. The group code of ANS will be shown.
The Crowne Plaza Downtown has attendee parking at a rate of $6 daily or $10 overnight.
The meeting will be two days of presentations, discussions and the business meeting held on September 17 and 18. On September 17th both panel groups will meet together for presentations and discussions. On September 18th, each panel will hold their separate business meetings and will reconvene at the end of the day. On September 19, participants from both panels can enjoy the field trip to local waters exploring regional AIS issues. The meeting will begin at 8 am adjourn at 5 pm on September 17 and 18. The field trip bus will depart from the hotel at 8 am and return to the hotel at noon on September 19. Please plan your flights accordingly to participate and enjoy the entire meeting agenda.
Transportation from the Airport:
If you are traveling from outside the Houston area, there are two airport options to reach the meeting.
- William B Hobby Airport – 12 miles from the hotel. Major airlines offer service with the addition of Southwest Airlines. There are a variety of shuttle and taxi services for transportation from the airport. Shuttle services are approximately $18 one way. Taxi is approximately $25 one way.
- George Bush International - 21 miles from the hotel. Major airlines offer service. There are a variety of shuttle and taxi services for transportation from the airport. Shuttle services are approximately $24 one way. Taxi is approximately $47.50 one way.
Local Area Highlights:
Once at the hotel there are many restaurants and other attractions reached on foot. The hotel does offer complimentary shuttle upon request throughout the downtown area. Also the LightRail is Houston’s 7.5 mile light rail system that connects downtown, Midtown, the Museum District and more. You can catch the LightRail 4 blocks from the hotel. Learn more about public transportation in Houston: http://www.ridemetro.org/
The following are locations of interest in the vicinity of the hotel.
- Houston Theater District – 1 mile
- University of Houston – 3 miles
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science – 3 miles
- Galleria – a popular shopping and restaurant destination – 7 miles
- Downtown Aquarium Restaurant – 1 mile
- House of Blues – 1 mile
- Bayou Music Center – 1 mile
- JPMorgan Chase Tower - 1 mile - offers the highest public view of Houston from the Sky Lobby on the 60th floor.
- NASA Space Center – 27 miles
Draft Agenda: The agenda at a glance will be as follows:
- Tuesday September 16, 2014 – TBD – WRP State and Federal Partners will assemble for updates and pre-panel meetings.
- Wednesday September 17,2014 8am to 5pm – The WRP and South and Gulf Panel will hold a joint meeting.
- Thursday September 18, 2014 8am- 4pm – Each panel will hold separate business meetings. At 4pm the panels we come back together to reconvene.
- Friday September 19, 2014 7:30am to noon – The WRP and South Atlantic and Gulf Panel attendees can attend a field trip to local freshwater locations to learn about regional AIS issues.