Contact: Bonnie Strawser - 252-473-1131
February 27, 2007
Enjoy the Outer Banks – Take a Walk on the Wildside!
Land of Beginnings Festival, March 25-31, Themed ‘An Outer Banks Original’
(Manteo, N.C., February, 2007) – The Land of Beginnings Festival, an Outer Banks Original, will be held from March 25 to March 31 to celebrate all that is original to the Outer Banks – including its vast assortment of wildlife.
The Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival, held annually in November, has teamed up with the Land of Beginnings Festival to host The Great Outdoors Wildlife Photography Contest. The show will hang in the SeaTree Gallery, located at Whalehead Junction in Nags Head, from March 25 to March 31. The winning photo will appear on the cover of Take A Walk on the Wildside, a high-gloss, full color publication distributed to visitors from May until November and which promotes the area’s wildlife education programs, including all the information and details of the Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival. Other photos chosen will appear inside the magazine.
Cash prizes will be awarded in each of the three categories: first place $100; second place $75; third place $50; the show winner, in addition to gracing the cover of Take a Walk on the Wildside, will receive $200. Following are entry guidelines for submitting photographs:
· All photographs must be taken from Jan. 1, 2006 to March 1, 2007 at locations on the Outer Banks or any of the wildlife refuges in the region. No captive wildife photos will be accepted.
· The categories are Birds (song, shore, waterfowl) Wildlife (wolves, bears, alligators, etc.) and the Great Outdoors (nature shots but please no sunsets or sunrises.
· Maximum of three entries per category per photographer.
· There is a $10 entry fee for the first photograph and $5 each for each additional entry.
· Print photos should measure 8.5 x 11 inches on photo quality paper and be matted but not framed; Disks and slides will not be accepted.
· The back of the photo should include the photographer’s name, address and phone number, plus details about the photograph such as location and identification of species if known.
· All entered photographs become property of the Wings Over Water Wildlife Festival, and may be used without further compensation for a variety of purposes including, but not limited to: exhibits, promotional brochures, calendars, educational publications, website graphics and other print and electronic media. Photographers will be credited in such uses when possible.
· Mail entries to Photo Contest, c/o Outer Banks Sentinel, POB 546, Nags Head, 27959 or drop off at the office located at 2910 S. Croatan Highway, Nags Head. Deadline for entries is March 23.
The Land of Beginnings Festival is an annual celebration of Outer Banks Originals which defines who we are as a community. Events planned at various sites that week include a long list of exciting cultural, educational and entertainment activities. Participating sponsors include both nonprofits and businesses that subscribe to promoting the future of the Outer Banks by preserving its past. For more information about the photography contest, call Sandy Semans at 252-480-2234.