Home
Field Notes
 
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Field Notes Entry   
Matagorda Island Lighthouse Celebration
10 Region, April 18, 2001
Print Friendly Version
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service celebrated the restoration groundbreaking of the Matagorda Island Lighthouse along with our partners: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department; Calhoun County; and the Matagorda Island Foundation. Originally constructed in 1852, the Matagorda Island Lighthouse was the first to have its light shine on the Texas Coast. Rising 92 feet above the Gulf Coast prairie, the structure is constructed entirely of cast iron. After being decommissioned by the U.S. Coast Guard in 1985, the light was relit on December 31, 1999, through the efforts of the Matagorda Island Foundation. The lighthouse was transferred to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in January 2001 from the U.S. Coast Guard. Through a Memorandum of Agreement, management of the lighthouse was transferred to Calhoun County which received a grant from Texas Department of Transportation to restore the lighthouse. The Matagorda Island Foundation has since raised matching funds for the restoration of the lighthouse.

Contact Info: Kevin Painter, , kevin_painter@fws.gov



Send to:
From:

Notes:
Find a Field Notes Entry

Search by keyword

Search by State




Search by Region


US Fish and Wildlife Service footer